Five

"How do you know? Have you met him? Where is he? Why can't I see him the way I see you?" I asked her frantically.

"Will you believe me if I tell you that you are constantly followed by two spirits for two years now?"

"What? Two spirits are following me?"

"Yes, and one of them is Jake. You can't see him because he doesn't know how to reveal himself to you. He never did pay attention in our angel classes."

My heart swelled up with happiness just by knowing that his spirit was following me all this time.

"Can you please tell him to show himself to me?"

She shook her head. "I can't. He won't listen. He just follows you around everywhere and cries all the time because he can't be with you."

I swallowed the lump in my throat.

"But I want you to worry about this other spirit that follows you too."

"Who?"

"I don't like this one. It's evil. It's a demon. His name is Jesse."

"Wait, how do dead people become demons?"

"Well there's this thing where good people after dying go to heaven and become angels and people who did something unforgivable and bad die and go to hell and become demons."

I gasped. "I stole my best friend, Brooke's candy in seventh grade. She did say that it was an unforgivable crime against her. Am I going to be a demon when I die?"

Vanessa face palmed herself. "No, you don't become a demon for stealing candy. It's when you do something major bad like killing someone or harming others in any way."

"Oh, okay. So wait you mean to tell me there's a demon and an angel following me for two years?"

"Yes and all the bad things happening in your life right now is all because of Jesse, the demon. Demons have the power to bring sadness into a person's life. Angels have the power to make people happy but the powers that angels possess are a little weak than those of demons. That's why there is a lot of sadness in this world and so less happiness."

"Oh, now I get it. So you're here to bring me my happiness. You're here to bring back Jake."

It sounded surreal. I didn't know if I should believe it or not. Jake was long back dead. By now, the only thing left of him would be his skeleton. I shuddered at the thought.

"Are you sure you can bring him back? It's very hard to believe that he'll come back in any way."

"I can't directly bring him back from the dead as my powers are weaker than Jesse's. Jesse tries everything in his power to make your life miserable. That's why your life is the way it is right now."

"So you mean that me being alone every time, not being able to make any loyal friends, getting bullied by my roommates, not being able to perform well in college, being almost broke, missing and crying over Jake everyday, feeling worthless and suicidal is all because Jesse wants me to feel like that?"

"Yeah."

"I can't believe that jerk is still troubling me even when he's in the afterlife. But if Jake is an angel, why doesn't he protect me?"

I was scared of the reply. What if he thought I was not worth it. What if he blames me for him being dead, which is partially true. What if he despises me now? God, I don't think I'd be able to live with that. Jake hating me would be the most heartbreaking thing I'd ever hear. I don't care if I die but I can't live if I know that Jake hates me now.

"Does he hate me now?" I whispered but I was sure Vanessa heard it.

"What? No! He never hated you, he loves you just as much as he did before. He's my friend, he tells me so much about you. And as far as him not protecting you is concerned, he wants to but he can't. He doesn't know how to. Most of the time he feels so useless. I'm sure he'll no longer be an angel this way. His wings will be taken away and them he'll die in the afterlife too. So after that no one can bring him back after that."

"But I want to protect him. Keep him safe with me. I'll do anything I can to get him back."

Vanessa smiled. "That's what I wanted to hear. It's nice to you that you have each other."

"I love him. So much."

"So, what I'm going to do is give you three chances. I'm going to send you back into the past to change that one thing that went wrong."

I shook my head. "More than one thing went wrong that day. But why are you giving me three chances? Wouldn't one be enough to save Jake?"

"No. Things might not work out the way you'd want it to, hence the three chances."

"Wait, what do I have to do exactly?"

"That you'll know when you're there. Just ensure Jake and Brian survive."

"How do you know so much about that day? And about my friends?"

"Jake talks a lot about you guys, especially you. He told me what happened and I saw it for myself too, angels have that power. He misses you all."

"Tell him I miss him too," I said with tears with my eyes.

"Why don't you tell him that yourself when you'll finally save him?"

"I don't know. I'm afraid I won't be able to. I don't know how to."

"Trust me, you will save him."

I didn't say anything. I was going in the past to save him and I hope I can. I do not want to disappoint him again.

"Oh, and don't forget to ensure that nobody sees you, at least not the people you knew back then."

I nodded, not really knowing why but at this point I was ready to do whatever Vanessa told me to. "Okay but what happens if they do see me?"

Vanessa's expression turned grim. "Then the past will change. The events that will happen in all the three cases will merge into one to cover the mistake. History will repeat itself."

Don't forget to vote, comment, share and follow!