Epilogue

"Why are you so tense?" Jake asked as he put a hand on my thigh to stop me from shaking it excessively.

"I'm scared."

"Don't worry. Everything will be fine."

"You say that because you don't know how your mother reacted to your death and how she treated me."

"Well did you expect her to thank you?"

"No! It's just that she's scary when she's mad," I shrieked.

"I know. But seriously just calm down."

"I'm trying."

We were currently in a car on the way to spend Christmas and Thanksgiving with Jake's family. And I was so nervous.

Jake's mother was so horrified at Jake's death. She had cried nonstop at the hospital and she even slapped me a few times and blamed me for everything. I was too numb to take note of the pain on my cheeks. Brooke had to pull her off of me, otherwise I was pretty sure even I would've been in the morgue on the same day as Jake, and his mother behind bars.

When we pulled up in the driveway, I was pretty sure I wet my pants, not because of Jake but because of sheer terror.

"Claire, get out," Jake said, laughing at me. I glared at him.

We walked up the front steps and he pressed the doorbell. It was starting to snow upon the shovelled sidewalk.

We waited for a few seconds before the door finally flung open, revealing Jake's mother.

I gulped.

Don't embarrass yourself or kill anyone. She's your future mother-in-law. I told myself.

I gave the gift I bought for her and she thanked me. I don't even remember what I got her but I hope she likes it.

She stepped forward and hugged me, surprising me to the core.

"Jake, I must say you've got excellent choice," Jake's dad said, smiling widely at me. I returned his smile.

"True! Claire, come on in. Jake talks a lot about you on the phone. I knew I had to see you." His mother said, gesturing me inside.

We entered inside and shut the door behind us.

When we all were comfortably seated on the couch, his mother spoke up. "So when is the wedding?"

Jake choked on his orange juice. "How'd you know? I was going to tell you later."

She rolled her eyes at her son. "Jake, I'm not blind. I see the ring on her finger."

"R-right."

I had completely forgot to take it off. Jake had told me it was best if I took it off because he hasn't told them yet and was going to to it during Christmas but me being the forgetful person that I am, didn't make it happen.

"So you approve of us marrying?" He asked.

"Of course. I already knew about her. Your friend, Vanessa told me everything about her the day I got her number from you."

"It was right after the day I proposed her that I gave you Van's number. She told you everything?"

"Yeah. But I must say I'm disappointed in you. Jake you're our only son. How could you keep something this big hidden for ten months from us?!"

He cringed in his seat. "Sorry, mom."

"You really think I'm going to forgive you that easily?" She scoffed. "But I don't want to ruin the nice festive atmosphere so whatever. You're forgiven."

Jake grinned. He knew his mother couldn't stay angry at him for long. He had told me a lot about his mother. I knew she was protective over Jake as he was her only son and so I understood why she reacted the way she did when she got to know her son passed away.

"Anyways Claire, it's going to be dinner time soon. Would you like to cook with me?"

This was my chance to impress her. "Yeah, I'd love to."

Good thing I knew how to cook.

After talking for half an hour, Jake's dad went off to finish some work and I got up to give his mom a helping hand. But then Jake insisted that his mom rest and that we'll cook instead which was incredibly sweet of him. Good thing he knows how to cook too.

We spent about an hour in the kitchen, cooking. Well the food would've been prepared in half an hour but Jake made it impossible by having a little food fight with me and then kissing me every time he got the chance to, because we were all alone in the kitchen.

In the end, I succeeded in impressing his mom. She loved the food and complimented my cooking more than Jake's which he whined about for the rest of the dinner while playing footsie with me.

I was thankful to Vanessa for giving me a second chance to reunite with my true love.

Before that second chance, I had made all wrong decisions in my life.

Maybe this second chance was what I needed to get my life in control and start taking the right decisions, to become independent and strong.

And I knew that everything from now on would be sunshine and roses, of course with a little tan and a few thorns on the way because nothing could be perfect. And I realised it when I felt Jake slide under the covers while tucking them tightly around me to keep me warm, spooned me from behind and placed a kiss in my hair long after everyone went to sleep that night.

Yes, all I needed was a second chance.

THE END

This was the last chapter.

What did you think of this? All good things I hope.

Don't forget to vote, comment, share and follow!