¤Chapter 7: Change

"Your ordered food." The service woman placed our filled plates in front of us. I looked at the tai noodles. They really looked delicious.

"Itadakimas." We both said in chorus and started eating. No word was spoken, no question asked. I only noticed a few times his gaze on me. He acts weird today. Not like he used to be in middle school. Could it be that he changed? But a person can never change completely. We learned that at university. A person changes only when it has to be. For example when a person can't live without being different or when a person makes a very bad experience in life and complaines with his/her decision and with the inner self. But this couldn't have happend to Akashi, right? I mean he is 'the emperor'. In middle school he always made unwavering decision and nobody tried to disobey him, well otherwise he punished this person and nobody wanted to 'die'.

"Thank you for ordering me tai noodles. They are as delicious as ever." I said with a slight smile to interrupt this annoying silence. Back then we always talked about everything and now we don't even know with what to begin with. I guess he don't want to ask me things about the past, actually I also don't want to.

"You're welcome. I thought you would like them." He answered not looking into my eyes. Really he is different. Normally he would look into people's eyes when talking with them and wouldn't allow a person to speak with him without looking into his.

"Like always you are right." I uttered. Maybe now he would look into my eyes. I can't sympathise with this kinda shy and doubtful Akashi at all. I want his demanding self back. It's strange but this side doesn't suit him in fact.

"I'm not always right." He stammered looking away. Eh? What is that? Why is he this unsure? Never, would he have said that.

"But most of the time." His eyes quickly turned to me and his mouth stood a bit open in surprise.

"Hmm.." He mumbled with a low voice before he resumed eating his tofu. I couldn't avert my eyes off. He was just too different then I know him and expected him to be.

Again a silence returned and we finished our meals. After Akashi had paid for the food, I insisted but he meant that he had asked me out so he wanted to pay, we left the restaurant.

"Tetsuya." His voice was a bit shaking.

"Do you want to meet another time while you're in Japan?" He looked into my eyes and I guess he blushed a bit. Really, what is wrong with him today? But should we meet again? I mean we don't have something to speak and I don't like this awkward silence which hangs around us the whole time.

"Okay." He blinked once at me and a light smile was formed on his lips. I think I only agreed because I am curious why his personality changed like that.

"Do you have the same telephone number?" He asked finally and gulped. I nodded.

"Great then I have it." He said while smiling at me with a big grin. Wait? After 10 years he hadn't deleted my phone number? Why didn't he do that? I deleted it the day I broke up with him. I didn't want his number anymore. I stared at his contact for hours after our last meeting. I wanted to phone him and say sorry or scream at him for not loving me, but at the end I deleted it to be free. Free from all my memories with him. Free from his appealing appearance, from his heartwarming smile but this 'free' didn't work. I only cried because of him and wanted to get farer and farer away yet thought every minute about him.

"Can you sent me your contact, Akashi?" I said at last. His gaze darkened and his smile turned into a sad expression. Then he grasped in his pocket and grabbed his phone. Is he sad now? Or angry at me?