The Acceptance Letter

Convincing Severus had taken every ounce of his not inconsiderable ability. Dumbledore resisted the urge to spare the man a glance as they strode toward Hogsmeade – they had set up an apparition point just outside the village. He knew Severus was perhaps the least apt person for this job. Cold, sarcastic, and unapproachable were not the qualities suited for breaking world-changing information to an eleven-year-old.

Severus Snape was his spy, his confidante, and his healer. He might venture to consider the man his friend but highly doubted that the sentiment was mutual. Loyalty, not friendship was what kept the bat at his side. But, that didn't stop the headmaster from entertaining the hope that one day, Severus might see him as a friend as well.

"And where," Severus asked, extending no effort to keep the displeasure from his tone, "are we expecting to find this boy?"

Dumbledore withdrew a bag of skittles from his pocket. The brilliant coloured muggle candy was something he had recently become obsessed with. "Wool's Orphanage," he replied as he popped a lemon-flavoured candy into his mouth. As he held the bag out to Severus in offering he added, "Would you care for—"

"No," Severus cut him off. He gave the bag one of his cold glares before looking straight ahead once more. They were almost at the gate. "Are you being purposefully vague?" he asked after a moment.

Dumbledore's blue eyes twinkled. "I don't believe I have any idea as to what you are referring, Severus."

"Not once have you told me the boy's name." Severus raised an eyebrow, his lip curling. "You waited until now to tell me our destination. Might I expect the revelation that he is some ancestor of Slytherin as well, or do you take pride in keeping everyone around you completely ignorant?"

It was a mark of how accustomed Dumbledore had become to this mockery that he didn't find it offensive in the least. Instead, he merely sighed and stepped through the gate. "Why don't we find out?" he said with a small smile and he held out his hand, as though expecting Snape to shake it.

Severus rolled his cold black eyes, a resigned expression taking over the spiteful aggression that usually occupied his features. After a second's pause, he took the headmaster's hand and they vanished with a crack.

They reappeared in an alleyway, one block down from the orphanage. Dumbledore, fully intent on striding into the street in his navy blue robes, stopped when Severus cleared his throat meaningfully. The headmaster glanced back, seeing that his colleague had already transformed his billowing black robes into a waistcoat and trousers.

"Ah, of course," he said and waved his wand over his wardrobe. Now donning a dark blue suit, Dumbledore stashed his wand in his sleeve and strode toward the orphanage.

While the world around it had changed substantially, Wool's Orphanage remained a picture of the past. The stone building still loomed over the street in the same imposing manner it had fifty years before, looking as unfavourable to live within as always. Someone had attempted to make it look more approachable by adding flowerbeds along the front. While somewhat curious about what the potions master thought of the place – Severus only knew of it from the stories – Dumbledore didn't glance at him. He could ask later. Thoughts of the boy they were about to meet filled his thoughts.

He rang the buzzer to the intercom.

Silence for a moment, then a young female voice said, "Hello, welcome to Wool's Orphanage. Do you have an appointment?"

Dumbledore smiled and put his finger on the reply button. "Could you tell the Matron Albus Dumbledore is here?" He clicked it off.

"Did you send them a letter ahead of time?" Severus asked from behind him. The man sounded highly sceptical – and for good reason.