Samhain

The world rusted.

Trees wilted and threw their leaves to the ground, bloodied and infected with vermilion. The air grew crisp, the cloying scent of decay and musk belonging to late autumn. October set over the school like a chill, chasing the students down corridors trying to catch and settle in their bones. But winter had not arrived yet, she had merely blown a kiss, a little promise of what was in store for them.

Professor Snape liked this time of year. Perhaps that was due to his fascination with the dark arts, to the way his core responded to the nearing of Samhain. Though the traditions of old had long since died out and no one alive quite knew what rites the Priestesses had practised, all of wizardry held All Hallow's Eve dear. Children who had never yet exhibited magical abilities were more likely to do so that night, and indeed, it was the night that most muggleborn witches and wizards were discovered. And, it was the night Lily had died.

He had thought that would ruin the event for him. After all, how could he like the day the only woman he had ever loved was taken from him? He had actually tried to hate the holiday, tried to procure a grudge against it and dread it's coming but he couldn't. Against his will, his magic tingled and grew jittery, soaking in some source of power he didn't fully understand. At Hogwarts, the sheer concentration of witches and wizards seemed to amplify the feeling.

Which meant there were a lot of foolish children behaving erratically.

Snape could remember the first Samhain after the Weasley twins came to Hogwarts with such clarity that he doubted anyone would soon forget it. The pumpkins in the Great Hall had all turned black and begun to melt, like tar. He was certain that hadn't been the twin's intention – probably a spell gone wrong – but the widespread panic and fear as inky black pumpkin insides fell on their heads had been chaotic, to say the least. Luckily that had been the first and last time they had attempted to sabotage the decorations of the Great Hall.

Snape had honestly expected something like that from Merlin Evans. As the days grew closer and closer to the date, and the attention of the student body became preoccupied with the coming holiday, Snape waited nervously for the boy to do something just as impulsive and reckless. But, it quickly became apparent that Mr Evans did not intend to set any Halloween pranks. In fact, Snape wasn't sure Evans intended to anything except sleep.

Ever since that night Evans had run in and out of his office without a word, he had started sleeping during class. Snape might not have minded, were it not for the fact that his quality of work had also taken a steep turn downhill. He didn't pay attention whatsoever in class, half-assed his potions, and didn't do homework at all. And, apparently, he was like this in every single one of his classes.

Snape shook his head, glancing over at the boy in question. Draco Malfoy was making their potion alone, Evan's head bobbing up and down. The blond kept glancing at him, a mixture of resentment and concern on his face as he watched his friend give in to sleep.

At this rate, Evans was going to completely fail first year.

Snape could only hope that this new attitude would end after Samhain. But at the same time, the memory of Evan's face when he read the letter from his foster brother – that hadn't been the face of relief. The second time too. Evans had brought a letter for him to send on to Silas, and his brother's reply had been just as concerning. He had actually watched Evan's smile slide from his face, his eyes narrow and fill with worry. Was he having trouble sleeping because of it?

He glanced at the clock.

"Your potions should be done by now," he said, noting the pale look on the Longbottom boy. "Fill a vial and bring it to my desk." He watched as Draco filled a vial and nudged Evans, nodding for him to clean up the cauldron. Evans looked surly as he pulled out his wand and carelessly waved it. Snape wondered what exactly that pathetic gesture was supposed to achieve when – the contents of the cauldron vanished. Snape blinked – he hadn't expected anything to happen. Had Evans even said an incantation? Snape shook himself, of course he had, he just hadn't heard it because of everyone else cleaning up.