Christmas

And 'ere in mid-December, snow fell upon the castle grounds. A blanket of glistening white and bitter cold, it covered the Forbidden Forest and the towers, the icing on a winter wonderland. The halls of Hogwarts grew chilly and in the dungeons, warm breath crystalized into mist.

Merlin shivered. But why was Snape's office an icebox? The Slytherin common room had a roaring fire, and it was obvious that Snape had a fireplace – it was just behind his desk. But the coals were dim red at best; the absence of licking flames obvious. Snape didn't seem to have noticed that his fire was on the verge of death. He was too preoccupied with a long list in front of him.

"Will you be returning home for the holidays, Evans?" Snape asked as he dipped his quill into an ink bottle.

"Yes," Merlin said folding his arms. "I'd rather not get frostbite this Christmas."

Snape's lip twitched. He reached into his robes and flicked his wand toward the fire, and the flames roared back into existence. Merlin felt the warmth wash over him and he shivered violently once more before his body began absorbing the heat.

"I think my ears are on fire," Merlin said clamping his hands over them in a feeble attempt to warm them up.

"I can always return the fire to its previous state," Snape said icily and Merlin glared at him.

"And you wonder why some students think you're a vampire."

"Oh, how will I ever convince them otherwise?" Snape spat sarcastically. "Now, unless you have any questions you are free to leave." And he returned to his list and scribbled something down.

Merlin sighed and got to his feet, but paused before walking to the door. "Sir?" he asked turning back the Potions Master. "Are you going home for the holidays?"

Snape glanced up at him. "No. I will remain at Hogwarts over break."

Merlin released a breath of relief. Snape raised an eyebrow and Merlin said, "Well, I just wanted to know if someone would be keeping an eye on Quirrell. He's staying too, isn't he?"

Snape pinched the bridge of his nose. "He is not stupid enough to act while the Headmaster is inside Hogwarts. But, be assured, I will also keep an eye on him. Enjoy your holidays, Merlin."

Merlin nodded stiffly and left the office. He was sure Snape would be able to keep watch over the stone, but Merlin still felt uneasy leaving. It wasn't that he thought that Quirrell would make another attempt over break, but the mere fact that he wouldn't be able to keep an eye on the professor made him uneasy. What if something happened? What if an opportunity to prove the professor's criminal activity appeared? Merlin frowned and shook his head. No, as much as he wanted to stay and keep an eye on the DADA professor, he needed to go home.

He needed to check on Silas.

Merlin met Draco at the entrance to the dungeons. "Going home too?" he drawled as they started walking to Charms class. Merlin nodded.

"As if I'm going to stay in this freezer during break," he replied with a smirk. "I feel a little sorry for everyone who's staying."

Draco shrugged in reply. "Theodore seems rather thrilled actually." And his expression darkened for a moment. "Not that I blame him. His father isn't exactly the most pleasant person to be around." He shook his head and said, "By the way, my father throws a party during the winter break every year. Several important people attend, including the Minister of Magic."

Merlin raised an eyebrow. "Sounds like fun," he said sarcastically. A business party sounded incredibly dull. Draco glared at him.

"Well, I'm sure you'll be able to liven things up."