The Hogwarts Express

"Merlin?"

Someone poked his face and within a heartbeat he was awake. He couldn't help it, not after living for so long as a servant of Arthur and all the times he had needed to be on his guard. His first instinct was to reach down and grab the wand he had strapped against his leg, but he didn't. He had recognized the voice that had spoken.

"What, Silas?" he groaned, rolling over and pulling his blankets tighter. He had never slept in a bed this comfortable in his life. It was as though it were made out of feathers.

"What do you think of them? Of Mr.—er, Popeye and Granny Audrey?" He swallowed. Merlin had a feeling that the kid felt strange calling the elderly couple something so familial.

Merlin sighed and sat up. The silver chain around his neck clinked as he moved, the cool of his ring against his chest a comfort. The orange light from the street lamps filtered through the window, casting shadows onto Silas's face. His room was just across the hall, but Merlin wasn't at all surprised by his midnight visit. Hell, he wouldn't be surprised if the kid camped out on his floor for the next two days, trying to be with him as much as possible before he had to leave for Hogwarts.

He hoped Silas would manage all right without him.

"Um..." Merlin rubbed his eyes, buying himself time to think more than anything else. "I think they're really nice." A lot nicer than anyone in Camelot, in any case.

"Yeah. Hey, did you know that Granny Audrey asked me if I wanted warm milk before bed?" He looked thoroughly bewildered. "And then she asked if I wanted a bedtime story!"

"Well, did you?"

Silas started to squirm. "Hey – she offered, okay?!"

Merlin laughed and then clamped a hand over his mouth, glancing toward his door. In a quieter tone he said, sniggering, "You got tucked in."

Silas frowned. "And what, you didn't?"

"Er..."

"You did!" Silas punched his shoulder, now giggling. "I bet Granny Audrey even gave you a kiss goodnight on the forehead!"

"What? She did not!" Merlin said, trying to sound offended as he reached behind him and grabbed hold of the corner of his pillow.

"Oh, she totally did!"

Merlin laughed and smacked Silas in the face with his pillow. The kid sat there stunned for a second before grinning broadly and tackling him right off the bed with a loud crash and a squeal of laughter.

"Merlin, is everything—"

Not a minute later, Mr. Haddock or rather, Popeye opened the door and peaked his head inside. Upon seeing the two boys, fighting over a pillow on the floor however, his sentence gave way into low chuckles.

"C'mon lads, the Mrs. is already in bed. There'll be plenty of time for horseplay in the morning."

"Right, sorry—" Merlin started to say but Popeye shook his head.

"First night in a new home, it'd be strange if you didn't stay up talking." He paused a moment, surveying Silas. "If you want, I can put a mattress on the floor. I know Merlin's leaving in a short bit."

"R-really?" Silas glanced quickly at Merlin and the warlock saw the smallest sign of panic at the mention of his leaving.

"Sure. Just keep it down some, all right? Elderly folks like to sleep a bit earlier than others."

And, fifteen minutes later, Silas had his own makeshift bed on the floor. They didn't stay up much longer after Popeye left. They still hadn't fully recovered from the previous night, despite the various brief naps they'd taken. After a few mumbled words, Silas fell asleep. Merlin sighed and tried to get comfortable again, willing to bet all he owned that Silas had been too anxious to sleep alone.