The Letter From Silas

Merlin half expected to run into Filtch the caretaker or his cat Mrs Norris every time he turned the corner, but the castle was empty. The blanket of silence pressed on his ears, and his light footsteps seemed so loud that he was certain to attract attention. It had been a very long time since he'd snuck around a castle at night, and the absence of guards made him uneasy. He wanted to turn down a hallway and see a knight clad in blood red patrolling the perimeter. Was Hogwarts so vacant? The enormity of the castle had never been so apparent as when there was no living soul within sight.

The sight of Aithusa had brought back a rush of memories, both fond and bitter. Merlin hurried his pace down the corridor and slid into the dungeons, feeling like he was back in Camelot sneaking off behind Arthur's back. Merlin shook his head. He wasn't in Camelot, no matter how similar the situation felt. He had different duties, different obligations, and different concerns.

Merlin stopped for a moment against the cool dungeon wall. Had hatching Korrizahar been a good idea? Such a young dragon would be of little help and teaching him would only further worry him. But then he remembered those large golden eyes staring right into his heart, and he knew he craved the kinship that only another creature of magic could bestow.

Merlin sighed and made his way quickly over to the entrance of the Slytherin common room. "Boomslang," he whispered to the snake at the bottom of the wall and with a soft hissed, "Welcome, young snake," Merlin walked inside. For a moment, he thought the room was deserted, and then he noticed the dark figure sitting by the dying fire.

He was so dead.

"Tell me, Evans, do you have some difficulty with grasping the concept of a curfew, or do you consider yourself above such rules?"

Professor Snape rose from the chair and crossed the room, silent fury rolling down his black cloak in waves. He stopped a few feet before Merlin, towering over the boy with flashing eyes. "All students are to be in their dorms by ten," Snape roared and Merlin cringed, taking a quick step back from him. Even in the gloom, he could see the anger in Snape's face. "So what exactly were you doing at this hour?!"

"I—I was just clearing my head."

"And did you achieve some clarity in the four hours you've been missing?" And his words echoed in the empty room.

Merlin spluttered. He hadn't realized he'd been gone so long, and after he'd barged into Snape's office he was sure the man had been waiting for his return. "I didn't realize—I went for a walk outside and—" The Potions Master fixed him with such an expression that Merlin was sure Snape intended to expel him right there.

"There is a reason students are not allowed on the ground after dark, Evans!" Snape bellowed. "You are as stupid as you are insolent! More than one student has been attacked during their reckless nighttime wandering."

Merlin had never seen Snape so angry. His voice was bound to carry up the stairs but he didn't seem to care. And Merlin had no idea how to respond, the assault of angry words were disarming. He had never been yelled at like this. Sure, Arthur had always told him how stupid and incapable he was, but he'd never gotten really angry about it. And Gaius had never shouted, preferring the stare of blatant disapproval.

Merlin didn't say anything after the professor finished shouting. What could he say after all? Sorry I made you worry, but I was hatching a dragon in the middle of the forbidden forest? As if the professor would even believe him. Snape heaved a profound sigh and pinched the bridge of his nose. The furious tone in Snape's voice melted away, exhaustion and frustration taking over instead.

"What is bothering you, Evans?"

Merlin blinked, taken aback. "Nothing is—"

"Don't insult my intelligence," Snape cut across. "I am perfectly aware that you meant to talk to me about something earlier this evening and then abruptly changed your mind." Snape folded his arms.