Norberta

"There's something I got to tell you."

Perhaps Merlin had jumped the gun in telling Draco that night, in the dimly lit hallway outside of the festive celebration and sophisticated yet veiled dialogue. As soon as the truth had tumbled from his lips, regret made its way into his heart and he dashed away before the young Malfoy could supply any word in reply. Was he scared of seeing the fear in Draco's eyes? Was that why he had jumped at the chance to return home when Snape had spotted him making his way nervously through the crowd? Merlin didn't want to articulate it into words – he couldn't.

"I killed the troll on Halloween." Merlin cringed at the memory, at his rushed explanation of how he'd heard something strange on the second floor and had gone to investigate, ending in the death of the magical creature. Draco hadn't interrupted him, the only indication of his surprise the slight widening of his eyes. And Merlin had left him to ponder on his words in the hope that nothing would come of it.

He stood on platform nine-and-three-quarters, running over the conversation in his mind. He would see Draco today and their conversation would arise to be repeated to Hermione, and he would be unable to run away from the fear on her face and the disgruntled one on Draco's. Wafts of steam ruffled Merlin's hair, the vibrant red Hogwarts Express beckoning him forward. But at the moment there was something even more important than returning to Hogwarts, than preparing himself for the long and difficult conversation that waited for him, and that was watching as Silas took all the wonder of a purely magical location for the first time.

"How does this all fit inside one barrier," Silas breathed, glancing back toward the wall they had stepped through.

"Magic." Merlin smiled and put his arm around Silas' shoulder. He glanced up at Professor Snape and nodded his thanks. Snape had been against letting Silas come with them, and Merlin was grateful he'd changed his mind. The sheer look of amazement on his foster brother's face was worth it.

"Unless you wish to miss the train, I suggest you board," Snape said as he glanced up at the enormous clock on the wall. Merlin glanced at it too; he had less than ten minutes to jump on board and find a compartment.

"Okay—okay," he turned Silas to look at him. "Promise you'll write to me every day, all right?"

Silas nodded eagerly. "I promise. I'll make sure to tell you all about our new fosters."

Merlin glanced back at Snape again. The professor had finally told them earlier that morning that he'd found someone to take the pair of them in. He would be dropping Silas off before travelling back to Hogwarts and Merlin couldn't help but feel a little disappointed. He would have liked to meet the people that were taking them in. Snape hadn't even given a name, only a muttered, "They're wizards," before adding that unless they got a move on, Merlin would miss the train back to school.

Snape must have caught Merlin's apprehensive look because he sighed and said, "Silas will be perfectly safe. He's going to stay with Florean Fortescue."

"Florean?" Merlin repeated, wondering why that name sounded familiar. Snape raised an eyebrow.

"You met him in Diagon Alley after we were separated? This ringing any bells for you, Evans?"

"Oh!" Merlin brightened up at once. "The ice cream man!"

"You know him?" Silas asked, glancing from Snape to Merlin with increasing interest.

"Yeah," Merlin replied and he smiled. "He'll take care of you." A whistle echoed through the platform, reminding everyone that they needed to board. Merlin saw Silas' smile falter, saw his eyes flicker to the clock and his lip begin to tremble. Merlin wrapped him in a bone-crushing hug; a tsunami of worries threatening to wash over him. "I'll see you soon," he whispered and his brother nodded, his small hands gripping Merlin tightly. As he let go, Merlin noticed how Silas tried to discreetly wipe his eyes on Merlin's shoulder, and his eyelashes shimmered with water when he stepped back. Silas took a deep shaking breath.