Chapter Fourteen

I huff, out of breath once I manage to tackle Marie to the ground, but once I do, she looks terrified.

"What's wrong with you, Marie?" I yelp, still breathing heavily.

"Y-you're in love with Boss?" She stutters the question.

My eyes widen as I shake my head frantically, "No! Of course not!"

"But in the hall, the way you guys were looking at eachother, and you guys were so close together..." She babbles.

"No! That was nothing! It didn't mean anything." I defend, pleading with her to understand.

"Didn't look like nothing." She grumbles.

"Why do you care?" I narrow my eyes at her.

"You don't know?" She pales. "He's the most dangerous guy in Italy." She whispers.

"What?" I ask, confused as frick, "Why?"

"He's a leader." She whispers again.

"What? A leader of what? He doesn't even seem that dangerous." I exclaim.

"What happened?" A concerned voice sounds from the doorway, and I look up to find a worried Dante.

"Nothing." Marie says quickly, and I follow suit.

"We were just wrestling, since she decided to challenge me for the TV." I lie easily, sending a mock glare down to my friend.

She laughs nervously, "You win. I don't feel like watching TV anyway." She says, quickly getting up and striding away before I can say anything else.

I decide to let her go, hoping she'll cool off and everything can go back to normal later on tonight.

°•°●°•°●°•°●°

Marie's POV

I can't believe it.

Despite what Brimmy said about not being in love with him, I saw the way they were looking at eachother in that hallway. I've never seen Boss express that much emotion in my entire life, and even Brimmy, who I haven't known for long, but still a harder cookie to crack.

They looked like they had actually felt something for eachother.

But that's impossible, from what Brimmy has told me, she isn't his biggest fan, but that doesn't change the fact that I'd seen their exchange in the hall.

...She doesn't know who he is.

That's why she willingly stays here. If she knew the truth, she would never dare come to this house again.

As smart as Brimmy is, I can't help but to think that she's a bit gullible.

It's not like Boss tries to keep his identity a secret around people. Yet, that was the first time I've seen him interact with someone the way he had with Brimmy.

He cares for her.

As hard as he's tried to be seen as heartless, the tender look in his expression when he looks at Brimmy says otherwise.

It's not any of my business either way.

But the amount of times I've seen him commit acts of brutal violence, I worry for Brimmy. What he'd done to me. I can't imagine Brimmy having to suffer his fits of rage.

He's the reason I'll never see my family again. The reason I had to bury my mother in the pouring rain with his menacing eyes shining through the curtain of water.

I still remember her gentle touch, reading me bedtime stories in a language I did not know. A language I'd soon find to be English.

A language I despise. One of the reasons Marcello found worth in me. My knowledge in language.

However, his presence in the house has not been as violent lately. He's been locked inside his office, not to be seen by anyone.

Except, perhaps Brimmy.

I've been catching brief conversations between him and unknown people over the phone. He's been quiet, off the radar. And from what I've heard, he's keeping it that way. For how long? I have no idea.

Either way, I hope he leaves Brimmy uninvolved in any wrongdoings he may commit in the nearby future.

And I hop Brimmy leaves him be. It's understandable how she underestimates his violent tendencies, but I would have thought she'd catch scent of some sort of red flag.

Yet, she's still here, pestering him past the point of safety.

If she were anyone else, she would be dead.

So why isn't she?

As harsh as it sounds, that's a genuine question I would ask if it didn't equal the death sentence.

He's never tolerated disrespect before, so why start now? And why to someone he's just met?

He's cold, even to his lifelong friends, proving that it's hard to actually get through his multiple walls he sets up to protect and gaurd his emotions.

But then what was the affection swirling in his eyes when he looked at Brimmy? That wasn't just an act, and I don't see why he would pretend in the first place.

Even Brimmy seems oblivious to it.

I come to the conclusion that even they don't know what they feel for eachother, and I don't know if I should feel disapppinted, or relieved.

I adore Brimmy, I don't want her to push the wrong button on Marcello.

Light knocking on my door shoos my thoughts away.

"Come in." I call out, smiling when Brimmy emerges through the doorway and hesitantly steps into my room. Her short hair bounces freely as she bounds into my room when I give her a smile, and she seems to get the message that I've calmed down.

I feel a twinge of guilt as I watch the relief wash over her face.

She thought I was mad at her.

Far from it, I'm actually scared for her.

If Boss is in love with her like I think, she's in for a rough ride. Living this lifestyle is the farthest thing from safe.

Especially if people figure out about Boss's feelings for her. That's definitely not going to be good for her.

She'll be a major target, being Boss's weakness isn't a good thing.

I sigh sadly, deciding that I should probably tell her the truth.

I've made a vow not to leak a word about his status, but that was a vow I made when a gun was pointing at my head.

I've already been sold to him, he owns me. I cannot escape here, but maybe Brimmy will be able to.

My life is just a pawn in the mafia, if I do one thing to displease Marcello, I'll be killed or shipped off to someone else who will be more willing to shoot me for sport.

It's not my place to tell her, but the pressing urge to tell her is something that I'm unable to stifle.

"Uh, Brimmy?" I ask quietly, tilting my head down to stare at my fingers knotting together.

"Hm?"

"So, y-you remember how I said Boss is the most dangerous man in Italy?" I ask timidly, trying to gather up the courage to look at her.

I manage to glance up and spot a quizzical look on her face as she nods in confusion. "What about it?"

"Well, uh, Boss is, um,...he's...the leader of the Italian mafia."