Chapter Thirty

Another beautiful cover Night-Eye made!

After spending the majority of the morning in bed with Marcello, we both decide to get up.

Marcello is reluctant, but follows me nonetheless.

"What would you like to eat?" I ask once we've reached the empty kitchen, not a soul in sight.

He shrugs, staying silent.

"Pancakes it is." I roll my eyes at him and begin searching for the necessary supplies to cook with. "Do you want bacon or sausage?"

Once again, he shrugs, not replying.

"I'll just make both then." I roll my eyes at him for the millionth time, grabbing both the bacon and sausage from the fridge.

"Assuming you won't answer my next question, I'll just make you two pancakes." Silence. "Speak now or forever hold your peace."

"Two is fine." He pipes up, surprisingly.

"Look at that, you're talking like a big boy." I chirp playfully, causing his lips to twitch. "C'mon, just smile. It wouldn't kill you."

Now it's his turn to roll his eyes at me as his lips pull up into a smile. It's been a while since I've seen that.

"Do I smell pancakes?" The familiar voice of Callow echoes throughout the large kitchen.

"I don't know, do you?" I ask, shrugging when she gives me a glare.

I watch her like a hawk as she places one of her hands on Marcello's shoulder. I give them both a warning look and turn around right after he shrugs her hand off and scoots away from her.

I smile to myself, flipping the pancake that's currently occupying my pan.

Moments of silence pass, and a feeling of awkwardness fills the room, making the air heavy with tension.

I turn around, finding Marcello sitting stiffly in his seat with Callow sitting directly beside him, almost to the point of touching.

I clear my throat, "Why don't you get some of the eggs ready, Marcello?"

He sends me a thankful nod, getting up quickly and joining me in the kitchen.

"I'll help too!" Callow says, shooting up from her chair and walking further into the kitchen.

"No, that won't be necessary, Callow. But thanks anyway." I give her a sweet smile and turn to focus on my pancakes again.

She gives me a dirty look, but then slaps on a sad expression once she realizes Marcello is looking at her with a propped up eyebrow.

"Okay, I guess I'll just sit until it's done." She drags out, staring at him, seemingly wanting to get a reaction of some sort.

Once she realizes he's not stopping her from leaving, she gives me another glare and stalks out of the kitchen.

Once she's gone, I roll my eyes, "What's up with her? Is she crazy or something?"

"I honestly have no clue. She wasn't always like that." Marcello shakes his head, and curious look in his eyes.

"Well, what was she like then?" I ask, raising a brow as I stop what I'm doing to analyze his expression.

"She was sweet. Kind. Selfless. But now she's the opposite." He sighs, bringing his eyes back up to mine.

I quickly look away, not wanting him to catch the insecurity in my eyes.

Insecurity that has no place in my brain. But listening to Marcello talk about a potential ex girlfriend kind of hurts me, though I don't know why. It's not like he means anything to me anyway. We've only kissed a couple times, but that doesn't mean anything.

I distract myself by flipping the pancakes and placing them in plates next to the stove.

The familiar presence and warmth of Marcello can be felt directly behind me, but I ignore it and begin opening the package of sausage instead.

"Brimmy." His voice calls, sounding closer than I expected.

"Hm?" I ask, not bothering to turn around. The package of sausage remains stubborn and refuses to open, so I turn around to get a knife, only to meet Marcello's chest.

I slowly drag my eyes up his chest, and to his own brown orbs.

"Brimmy." He says again, catching my full attention.

"Yes?" I ask, wanting to create some distance between us, but can't due to the fact that my back is already up against the stove.

Before my mind can process his movements, his lips are on mine, creating the familiar spark I usually feel when he kisses me.

Our moment is interrupted by the shrill ringing of my phone.

"Don't." Marcello growls, hold me against his chest to prevent me from moving.

"I have to get that." The only person I can think to be calling me right now is my uncle, and we haven't talked for a while, so I feel somewhat excited. But I can't help to feel a bit disappointed that my kiss was interrupted.

I glance at the screen, feeling puzzled at the No Caller ID flashing on the screen.

I think back to Derek calling me on the plane, so I angrily decline the call and move back to the stove.

"Who was that?" Marcello asks curiously.

"It was no on-" I'm cut off the the ringing of my phone once again.

"You should answer that." Marcello says, nodding to my phone.

I roll my eyes, stomping back to my phone, but this time my Uncle's name flashes on the screen.

Sighing in relief, I answer without hesitation. "Hey, Uncle Benny!"

"Did you answer a call earlier?" Comes the worried voice of My favorite uncle.

"Uhm, no? I mean, someone called me, but I didn't answer." I inform, furrowing my brow, holding my index finger up and Marcello's puzzled look.

My uncle takes a deep breath, seemingly hesitant on his next words, "Brimmy...that was your father calling."