Introduction

© 2016 A. O. Deutsch. All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the author.

This book is dedicated to my family with love.

I would like to thank Vered Deutsch for editing this book during her vacation time, and I would like to thank Mikey Goldenberg for using his degree in philosophy to help me address some of the epistemological concepts in this book. 

I did not include an index with the digital edition, but if you have questions about a capitalized term then I encourage you to use the search function, which also serves this purpose.

INTP, ISFP, ENFJ - what does it all mean? This book will show you what to expect when you come across one of these abbreviations. Drawing on references to epistemology, mathematics, physics, and even competing measures of intelligence, this book will explain how each Jungian type engages life. Related Topics: Philosophy, Epistemology, Psychology, Typology, Personality, Jung, MBTI, Myers-Briggs, Socionics

Why Write A Book?

After studying Jungian personality theories for many years, I wanted to clarify some inconsistencies between them and tell the world what it is I really have come to believe. The main idea in this book is that the behaviors defining the Jungian personalities can be derived from a combination of unique philosophical rationales which exist behind each one. Cognietrics is not meant to be a complete "Lexicon of the Psyche", but it is also not vague, and makes specific predictions based on my own personal experiences and impressions of different people. I have tried to make Cognietrics the most accurate, precise, and revealing representation of the best ideas (including many of my own) commonly found in analogous personality models. I hope that this book will not only allow you to understand yourself, but also allow you to understand others, so that you may find common interests or at least learn from each other.

As for self-development, there are many that say that the point of personality theory is to identify Weaknesses to improve them on the path to self-actualization and becoming a well-rounded person, such that less conscious Functions become more developed later in life. There are some who say that if you know your Strengths you can work on them and achieve more than if you try to compensate Weaknesses, which aren't likely to improve to the point of being competitive with others having them as Strengths. I believe that any work that is done to improve the use of any Function is beneficial, but I believe that using a balanced combination of Weak and Strong Functions works best.

The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) was developed during and after WWII by Isabel Briggs-Myers and her mother Katherine Cook-Briggs. It was based on the earlier work of Carl Gustav Jung and was intended to help distribute different jobs in an efficient manner according to each job's suitability for a given psychological Preference.

Completion of the MBTI results in one of sixteen Types, each with a unique four-letter designation, with each letter representing a Preference.

The first letter can be E (Extraverted) or I (Introverted). Extraverts gain energy in social situations and lose it while alone, the opposite is true for Introverts. According to John Gabrieli of Stanford University, correlation exists between extraversion and the activation of the amygdala that occurs when happy faces are viewed. (http://news.stanford.edu/news/2002/july10/sciencegab-710.html)

The second letter can be S (Sensing) or N (iNtuiting). Sensors are realistic and live in the moment, whereas iNtuitives are imaginative and live in the future. According to Stefania Ashby of Brigham Young University, brain areas controlling imagination and memory do not overlap. (http://www.wired.co.uk/article/neuroscience-of-imagination)