Nootypology

Until now this book has been a treatment of Cognietrics, a theory of mine that pertains to the implications of the four-letter Jungian codes for each Type. This chapter will address the Types with increased detail. Specifically, this chapter is about the psychological development to a more generalized mindset called the Nootype.

There is of course a philosophy of science to which Karl Popper made notable contributions, but is there a science of philosophy? Cognietrics uses Jungian psychological concepts to explain fundamental epistemological positions. However, while many philosophical points arise from Cognietrics, as it addresses Myers-Briggs typology it also shows the limitations. Though the four letters are behavioral expressions compatible with a certain combination of more complex philosophical Traits, the Triads themselves, from which the Preference definitions are in fact derivative, are Abelian subgroups and so have no purposeful direction, and even then ultimately just serve as philosophical evolutionary niches and groupings of convenience arranged to minimize complex operations and increase utility; however, the Nootypological Function Order has direction in time, and the Nootypological Functions themselves are also not niches, because they are binary opposites. At the end of Chapter 6 I mentioned some interesting points about the philosophical implications of the Triads to show that Cognietrics also has value and that Nootypology is more of an extension of Cognietrics, rather than a replacement. In fact, the Cognietric Types, once considered obsolete by the maturing mind (which now avoids Triad niche distractions by utilizing the traits of organization and leadership), become more useful as tools.

Short Nootypological Preferences Test

1. Are your accomplishments more a) competitive or b) creative?

2. Are your interests more a) practical or b) imaginative?

3. Are your decisions more a) emotional or b) logical?

4. Are you more a) flexible or b) rigid in your beliefs?

5. Are your projects a) focused individually or b) influenced with connections?

6. Are your solutions a) invented, b) discovered, or c) diversified?

7. Is your energy attained while a) alone, b) with friends, or c) in the service of a public cause?

Answer Key:

1. a) Achieving b) Generating

2. a) Sensing b) Dreaming

3. a) Feeling b) Thinking

4. a) Realizing b) Challenging

5. a) Maximizing b) Bridging

6. a) Perceiving b) Judging c) Organizing

7. a) Introvert b) Extravert c) Leader

Therefore someone who answered every question with the first option would be an Achieving Sensing Feeling Realizing Maximizing Perceiving Introvert, or an ASFRMPI.

As you can tell, the answer to #6 does not deal with the Reaction Demeanor because Nootype Functions are more complex. I have also dispensed with "N" for iNtuiting because I believe that with all of the extra letters it might be confusing. I have replaced it with "D" for Dreaming.

It would not be incorrect for a GDFCBJE who feels very strongly about C to write the letters in some other order such as CJEBFDG, and in fact I would encourage others to do this so that future analysis may be provided for what it means to have a letter towards the beginning or end. There are 7! Subtype orders for each of the 288 Nootypes, or 1,451,520 Subtypes total. I think that the general case, such as for example "O, J, or P towards the beginning", would also be fascinating. I, personally, am a TBGDIPR (The Big Dipper?); in addition, having T first does not mean that I have a Thinking Function as my first Nootypological Function, or Catalyst; it means that I use T a lot regardless of which Functions I use or what purpose they serve. It is for this same reason that an INTP may have a higher N score than a T score while having Ti as a Referential Function, as is so with any Nootype and its Functions, and partially because self-awareness is a problem, such that Cognietrics and Nootypology remain largely philosophical studies rather than psychological ones, as they seek to explain the mind with fundamental logic rather than circumstantial evidence. I will use the standard order of letters for Nootypes in this book, however, to prevent confusion.