Basic Cognietrics

The Theory

My model agrees with John Beebe that Weak & Positive Functions are higher on the Consciousness Hierarchy than Weak & Negative Functions, but it also agrees with Aušra Augustinavičiūtė that Strong & Negative Functions are at the bottom. Since this theory differs from its predecessors, I have decided to name it "Cognietrics".

The Strong Functions are at the top and bottom of the Consciousness Hierarchy and represent the most active regions of the brain. The Weak Functions are in the middle.

Among ENFXs, it is easy to decide that the Judger with the Referential feeling is more of a Feeler than an iNtuiter, but among INFXs, which is which? The truth is that it is more complicated - the INFJ will excel at Feeling because it has been shaped by external forces, but will actually do more iNtuiting (and about more things) than Feeling (mostly to support that Feeling) though it will happen behind-the-scenes. This type of hidden preparation using the Referential Function is what makes Introverts seem mysterious, and may in fact contribute to their often unique perspectives (while allowing IXXPs to judge what to perceive and IXXJs to perceive what to judge beforehand, instead of engaging in direct, face-value judgment or perception as an Extrovert would).

The Function Temperaments cycle down the Consciousness Hierarchy for the Positive Attitudes and begin again the same way for the Negative Attitudes. For IXXJ (Evaluator) the order is Pi-Je-Ji-Pe. For IXXP (Reflector) the order is Ji-Pe-Pi-Je. For EXXJ (Persuader) the order is Je-Pi-Pe-Ji. For EXXP (Explorer) the order is Pe-Ji-Je-Pi. The reason for this is that the last letter of the designator determines which of the Demeanors is extraverted, rather than Referential (the Suggestion, Sensing or iNtuiting, is a form of perception, and the Meaning, Thinking or Feeling, is a form of judgment); Myers is credited with interpreting Jung when he said, in Psychological Types (1921), "[the] most differentiated function is always employed in an extraverted way". I believe that this is due to social pressures as well as public identification with oneself; not having a conscious Reaction Function also allows Introverts to hide their cognitive processes and stay focused on goals, and may be part of the cause of some of their Introverted behaviors. On the other hand, having a conscious Reaction Function allows Extraverts to deal with the situation at hand as directly and efficiently as possible. When something happens, the extraverted Function provides a Reaction that is concise and useful in social situations - Perceivers can quickly check how things are developing if they are Scouting or how things could be developing if they are Counterfactual; Judgers can quickly check how to take advantage of something if they are Strategic or how to support ethical standards if they are Relating. The introverted Function is used for the further consideration and gradual integration of the information. Functions that are not Reaction Functions (extraverted) are called Contemplation Functions (introverted). Extraverts have Reactions that are Referential, Experimental, Avoidant, and Aggressive. Introverts have Reactions that are Responsible, Hopeful, Rebellious, and Depressive.

When you are Hopeful about a Preference there must also be some aspects of it with which you are simultaneously Avoidant, however as you become Experimental by the use of a Preference you will find other ways in which you are also Rebellious. Being Responsible allows you to become so habituated to a Preference that you become increasingly Aggressive to other facets of it; however, when you are so engrossed in a Preference that you are Referential, you may become otherwise Depressive to it.

The Positive Attitudes comprise the Ego and begin in Strength with being Hopeful, then as you become acquainted you become Experimental, then as experience builds you become Responsible, and eventually you start to become Referential.

The Negative Attitudes comprise the Id and begin in Strength with being Avoidant, then possibly you realize that you have become increasingly Rebellious, then you might grow Aggressive, and eventually you may find a way to become Depressive.