An Uncomfortable Audition

EXT. – OUTSIDE THE MALL – DAY

Jesse and Claire head towards the door. It’s overcast outside, and both are wearing jackets and scarves. They go inside.

INT. – INSIDE THE MALL - DAY 

It’s crowded in the mall, filled with kids running around, teenagers babbling, and tired women pushing strollers.

CLAIRE LE MAYES

I hate this place. How’d you convince me to do this again?

JESSE

Comic books. Charity. Publicity.

CLAIRE LE MAYES

Right.

Claire and Jesse pass by a coffee shop. Jesse looks at it, then turns to Claire. He holds out his hand.

JESSE

Ma-cho-cci-no.

Claire hands him some bills.

JESSE (CONT’D)

I’ll meet you there. It’s in the courtyard, same place where they let the kids meet Santa Claus.

Claire wanders through the mall. She looks uncomfortable to be on her own in this place. She finds her way to the courtyard, where a line of women wait. She’s there early. While Claire is dressed in jacket, boots, and a scarf, the other women are all wearing summer dresses and heels. A WOMAN IN A SUIT goes down the line, handing out clipboards and pens. Claire takes one and starts filling out the application. Jesse joins her, machoccino in hand. It’s a towering frozen coffee creation of whipped cream, chocolate syrup, caramel syrup, and chocolate chips.

JESSE

Thanks for the drink.

He peers over her shoulder at the application.

JESSE (CONT’D)

You should embellish it. They love the crazy stuff. Tell them you run around in a Lady Leopard costume when you think no one’s looking.

He makes a cat-claw gesture.

JESSE (CONT’D

Rawr!

Claire gives him a friendly WHAP on the shoulder with her clipboard.

CLAIRE LE MAYES

If I took your advice, I’d be living in a rubber room.

(to herself as she writes)

Measurements?  Why do they need my measurements?

The Woman in a Suit beckons to Claire.

WOMAN IN A SUIT

You’re up next ma’am.

The Woman in a Suit leads Claire behind a partition. She SNAPS a quick photo of Claire’s face, but doesn’t warn her. Nelson is waiting in a chair behind a fold-out table. He takes Claire’s application and indicates the chair opposite the table.

NELSON

Please, sit down.r

Claire sits

NELSON (CONT’D)

So why do you want to be on The Man of Your Dreams?

CLAIRE LE MAYES