A Bump in the Road

EXT. FRONT OF THE COMIC BOOK SHOP – EARLY EVENING

Three months later. It’s late spring and still light outside. One person enters the shop, then two more. We see a sign on the door that has Claire’s picture on it. It says, “Watch The Man of Your Dreams with one of the contestants! Thursdays at 7PM”

INT. COMIC BOOK SHOP – EARLY EVENING

It’s crowded inside the comic book shop. A television on a wheeled cart sits in the back corner, folding chairs set up in front of it. All of the chairs are full, and some people sit on the floor. Claire is front and center, Jesse next to her, JESSE’S WIFE next to him. Ian is at the counter, ringing up a couple of purchases. Business is good.

JESSE
So, moment of truth. Did you actually win this thing? 

Claire, tight-lipped, only smiles.

JESSE
Huh. Guess I’ll have to wait another hour to find out.

JESSE’S WIFE
It reminds me of when we met.  

Jesse takes her hand and they gaze adoringly at each other.

JESSE
Reminds me of that too, my little Tribble.

CLAIRE LE MAYES
I thought you two met at a science fiction convention?

JESSE
Yeah. But we were from two different sides of the tracks, just like you and David. I was a Star Wars fan...  

JESSE’S WIFE
...and I loved Star Trek.

JESSE
So of course, I hated her at first, and everything she represented.

JESSE’S WIFE
And I couldn’t stand him. Star Wars isn’t even science fiction, it’s science fantasy.

JESSE
But there was something about her. When we’d exhausted all our arguments, I realized that I’d seen her at her worst – because, babe, you’re a real troll when defending Star Trek – and I still liked her.

JESSE’S WIFE
So we made it work.

CLAIRE LE MAYES
That’s actually a really sweet story.

A woman, ELLA, sitting a row behind, taps Claire on the shoulder. Claire turns around. Ella extends her hand.

ELLA
Hi, my name’s Ella. I’m on the school board for the Hamilton Unified School District. I saw one of your earlier episodes, where you were talking about starting a charity? I thought I’d come down and meet you.

CLAIRE LE MAYES
Hi, Ella. I was actually hoping to get something started in the next month or so.

ELLA
I liked your reasoning. Here’s my card. 

She hands Claire her business card.

 ELLA (CONT’D)
Give me a call when you get the ball rolling.

CLAIRE LE MAYES
Sure, I’ll do that! Thanks!

Someone makes a hushing sound. The show is starting.

JOHN
And now, the finale you’ve all been waiting for. The episode with the most dramatic heart ritual, ever. Let’s take a look at our last heart ritual. 

On the screen, it shows David with two heart doilies. Tessa, Claire, and Hayley wait.

DAVID VERDIN
Claire.