An Unexpected Contestant

EXT. LAX AIRPORT – DAY

Claire walks out of the airport, her coat and scarf over one arm, and rolling her suitcase with the other. She looks around at the palm trees. A man is standing in front of a car, a large sign reading “CLAIRE LE MAYES” held up in front of half his face. She sees the sign and heads for the car.

CLAIRE LE MAYES

I'm Claire.

 The driver doesn't say anything, only opens the back door for her and takes her bag, putting it in the trunk. Claire gets in and closes the door. The driver gets into the front seat and puts the sign in the passenger seat. Instead of starting the car, he checks her out in the rear view mirror. It's so obvious that Claire notices.

CLAIRE LE MAYES

What?

She gropes at her shoulder.

CLAIRE LE MAYES (CONT'D)

Did I grow a second head I don't know about?

The driver turns around in the seat. It's David, wearing sunglasses and a fake mustache. Claire recognizes him immediately.

CLAIRE LE MAYES

Oh, it's you.

DAVID VERDIN

It's me. Your driver.

They sit in silence for a moment.

DAVID VERDIN

It's not a very good disguise, is it?

CLAIRE LE MAYES

It’s - no, not really.

DAVID VERDIN

I'm not supposed to be here. I wanted to make you an offer.

The cars behind them begin HONKING, urging them to get out of the pick-up lane. David starts the car and pulls out of the pick-up lane.

EXT. LOS ANGELES FREEWAY – DAY

David talks as he drives, GESTURING so that he never has both hands on the wheel.

DAVID VERDIN

I don't actually want to get married. I don’t even want to be on this stupid show. What I do need is to pay some bills.

CLAIRE LE MAYES

I thought you were rich?

David makes all his turns sharply, so that Claire is thrown from side to side. She is only half listening to his words as he speeds and swerves from lane to lane down the freeway.

DAVID VERDIN

My company is rich. But I can’t spend my company’s money. And I’m not about to sell off any of my stocks, especially since they’re low right now.

He throws up both his hands. The car narrowly misses a truck.

DAVID VERDIN (CONT’D)

I admit it! The Sprinkle-Wash was a terrible idea.

He puts his hands back on the wheel.

DAVID VERDIN (CONT’D)

Anyways, where was I?

CLAIRE LE MAYES

You don’t want to get married.