The Interviews

INT. TALK SHOW TELEVISION STUDIO – DAY

David and Claire are sitting in two chairs next to one another in a hallway. Neither of them looks at the other. David starts to cross his arms, but that brings him too much into Claire’s space. Claire starts to cross her legs, but then switches and crosses the other way, away from David. They could be strangers for the amount of attention they pay one another. David clears his throat.

DAVID VERDIN

We're still supposed to be in love at this point.

CLAIRE LE MAYES

Is that so?

DAVID VERDIN

Well, from a logical standpoint, we haven't had enough time to have a falling out. 

CLAIRE LE MAYES

Is that all you care about? Tessa was right about you.

DAVID VERDIN

About me being charming?

Claire ignores him.

DAVID VERDIN (CONT'D)

Oh God, I'm making it worse, aren't I? I hate Tessa. She's a liar. Please believe me.

CLAIRE LE MAYES

Believe you? You're lying to all of America. Why wouldn't you lie to me?

DAVID VERDIN

And you're pristine as the driven snow? Or are you going to go out there and tell them the whole show was a set-up?

An ASSISTANT 3 walks up to them.

ASSISTANT 3

Sorry to keep you waiting. We can just head on to the stage now.

Claire and David get up. 

ASSISTANT 3 (CONT'D)

Aww, look at the happy couple. It is so good to see you. In the flesh! Wow.

 Claire and David smile awkwardly. David puts an arm around her.

DAVID VERDIN

That's us.

ASSISTANT 3

Sorry for being such a nut. If Melanie knew I was talking to you like this, she'd give me a tongue-lashing! This way.

The Assistant 3 leads them out of the hallway.

INT. TALK SHOW STUDIO STAGE – DAY

MELANIE is sitting on a chair across from a couch. She's talking to one of the backstage people when Claire and David enter. She smiles at them. They sit down on the couch, adjusting – sitting closer together and farther away until they're at a comfortable distance for the both of them.

MELANIE

I'm so glad you two decided to do my show first. We're going to go live in just a few. Ready?

David and Claire nod, tense smiles on both of their faces. The bright lights go on, and the cameras start to roll.

MELANIE

(to the camera)

It's a question we've all pondered. Can a person really find true love on television? My guests today are David Verdin and Claire Le Mayes from the hit TV show, The Man of Your Dreams. According to them, the answer is “yes”.