Chapter 2

Present
I suddenly hear my phone ringing but I definitely can't answer the phone call.

I'd sound like a crying little kid who tries to be strong to not let the other person notice the pain but all of a sudden my emotions would collapse and I'd cry no matter who's calling and then it would be embarrassing if I didn't know the person so I better just let it ring.

My display lights up after a few moments and I get message notifications.

Why can't the world let me be alone?!

I take the phone and see tones of messages from my bestie.

'Where did you go?! I was searching for you in the whole apartment but couldn't find you. What happened? Please text back.' She writes and seems really worried...

'Don't worry. I'm fine, just went home to be alone a bit. Enjoy the party.' I answer and turn my phone off.

I crawl back under the covers and look out of the window again.

Why does love bring so much pain with it? And why do I feel so lonely...?

5 years ago...

The bell rings again so I leave the class room as fast as I can to be the first sitting next to Shawn in the cafeteria.

When I enter the cafeteria I already see tones of people around Shawn. Sitting and standing, listening to him and laughing.

I kinda feel weird and stupid... How could I think he would seriously wanna sit with me in lunch breaks?

I'm about to leave but then hear someone saying my name loudly so everyone looks at me.

"Brook, wanna sit with us?" Shawn asks so I look at him and all the other people who are also looking at me.

"Actually, I was just about to do some... Do some stuff. Need to find my girls. But thanks." I answer quietly and walk to the exit of the cafeteria.

What the actual heck did I just do?!

'I was about to do some stuff'?! Why did I say this shit?

I'm more mad at myself than at him because there's no reason to be mad at him actually .

I'm such a dumbass...

"Brook!" Jess says as I arrive at the bench on the school yard. It's a sunny and warm day, the perfect weather to chill outside.

"Hey guys. How was your last lesson?" I ask and hug them.

"Great actually. The teachers are really nice and the class of arts is pretty nice." Jess answers and takes a bite of her sandwich.

"But sis, what's going on with this Shawn guy?" Elena asks with a bright smirk and looks at me.

"Ouuu, yesss! Spill the tea sis, we saw you two in English this morning." Jess adds and also smirks.

"Ahm..." I stammer and harrumph.

"I-I mean we get along with each other but it's not like there's more or something..." I answer but blush and smile.

"Aha. I don't believe you sis. I know you too well to believe this." Jess says leery and raises her eyebrows.

"Guys, I think I'll go to my class room. I wanna finish my book before the next lesson." I say and stand up.

"Whaaaaat?! No way that you leave now! You need to spill the tea about Shawn and you!" Elena claims annoyed but I just stick my tongue out with a smirk before I grab my bag and leave the school yard.

I'm not sure if I should tell them... At least not yet because friends always ruin relationships.

I mean I trust them, no doubts on that, but something inside me tells me to keep my feelings a secret. At least as long as I'm not sure about them either.

I walk through the empty halls of the school. Nobody's in the school building while the sun is shining outside so I'm alone but it's actually not that bad.

I always loved walking around alone to collect some impressions of new buildings as much as I love hanging out with my friends.

I hear a voice singing somewhere but I'm not sure who it is and where.

I keep on walking and the voice gets louder by every step.

I reach the room after a few moments and look through the door which is opened a tiny crack but enough to see who it is.

It's Shawn, playing the guitar and singing along. I never heard this song but it sounds awesome...

His angelic voice is so beautiful... So impressive and emotional... I could listen to this the whole day...

I suddenly have to sneeze so he immediately stops singing.

"Hello?" He asks and I hear footsteps coming closer to the door.

I enter the room and look straight into his eyes.

"Hey... Ah, I was walking to the classroom but heard your voice and I..." I stop and blush and look onto the ground.

"It sounded beautiful..." I add and smile. "Thank you!" He says happily and smiles too.

He takes my hand and leads me to his guitar so I sit down in front of him.

"What are we doing?" I ask and look at him confused. "We sing." He answers and starts playing a melody.

"I-I can't sing." "Oh c'mon! Everyone can sing." "No, I'm serious. I'm horrible at singing." I answer but he shakes his head and starts singing the first few lyrics of 'Shape of you' before I start singing too.

He smiles at me the whole time which gives me goosebumps all over my body and my heart beats fastly.

"And you said you can't sing?! Dude your voice is amazing!" Shawn says happily after the song and smiles brightly.

"Thank you..." I answer shyly and blush.

"Guess we should go to the classroom, shouldn't we?" He asks and puts the guitar away.

"Yeah, I guess so too." I answer and smile before we stand up and walk to the classroom.