Chapter 3: Rose

"Run!" The man and I commanded, pausing for a millisecond to blink.

And then we ran.

•••

This man was fast, his long legs carrying him farther then my short ones could. It was annoying, he was pulling me, Rose was pulling me, and my arm felt nearly ripped out of its socket.

The hallways kept curving, dim lights flickering. My converse clad feet slapped the cold concrete, the noise echoing slightly. I could see a lift nearing closer, it's lighted buttons easily visible.

I could hear the mannequins following us, their heavy footsteps growing closer and closer. I was breathing heavily, sweat dripping into my eyes, the air hard to breath with its staleness.

The strangely dressed man pulled out a metal tube thing, pressing a button to see the end light up blue. The lift doors opened slowly as we neared closer.

The light was a brilliant welcome from the dark and dank hallways.

Rushing in, the man pressed the close button repeatedly, Rose and I breathing deeply. A mannequin stuck it's arm through the doors, catching them before they closed.

Leather man gripped the plastic arm, yanking it off with a few tugs.

"You pulled his arm off." Rose stared, her eyes wide.

"Yep. Plastic."

"Very clever. Nice trick! Who were they then, students? Is this a student thing or what?" Rose argued with the strange man, slowly I began drifting away from the conversation.

My thoughts changed to what those things were. They definitely weren't students, students wouldn't have nearly killed people.

Rose nudged me, bringing me back to the conversation.

"Hmm?" I mumbled, my mind still distracted.

"I asked, what do you think, if their not students." The man asked, his eyebrows raised slightly.

"The Nestene Conciousness, the mannequins are autons." I blurted out, my brain not even forming the thought.

The man stared at me, Rose as well.

"Well I think they're still students. So whoever they are, when Wilson finds them, he's going to call the police."

"Who's Wilson?" Leather man questioned.

"Chief electrician."

"Wilson's dead." And he cut off the conversation there, leaving Rose and I in silence. The lift dinged, and the doors opened to near the back of Hendrick's.

"That's just not funny. That's sick!" Rose exclaimed gagging slightly. I placed my hand on her shoulder, patting her back a bit. "Hold on. Mind your eyes." I really needed a name for this guy.

"I've had enough of this now." Rose sighed, I disagreed. I felt that this was the most fun I'd ever had.

Leather man looked at her strangely, taking out his glowing tube that made weird noises. "Alright, out you get." He grinned madly, gesturing for us to exit the lift.

The air outside of the compact box was chilly and fresh.

"Who are you, then? Who's that lot down there? I said, who are they?" Rose demanded, squaring her shoulders, her purple jacket preventing much more movement. I stifled a giggle, hiding my face in my jacket.

"They're made of plastic. Living plastic creatures. They're being controlled by a relay device on the roof, which would be a great big problem if I didn't have this. So, I'm going to go up there and blow them up, and I might well die in the process, but don't worry about me. No, you go home. Go on. Go and have your lovely beans on toast. Don't tell anyone about this, because if you do, you'll get them killed." He commanded shutting the door to what must have been a staircase behind him.

Suddenly he popped his head back out when I had just turned away, my eyes scanning the lift behind us.

"I'm the Doctor, by the way. What's your name?" He said directed at Rose.

"Rose."

He looked at me next, and suddenly I felt nervous, my hands began to sweat and everything seemed to slow down. My head began to pound, my heart thumping loudly and erratically.

Why was I this nervous? I thought, taking deep breaths to try to calm my nervous heart.

"Tessa. Tessa Lecteur."

"Nice to meet you, Rose, Tessa. Run for your life!" The Doctor smiled madly, his eyes wide.

I grabbed Rose's hand, pulling her down the opposite staircase that lead downwards. I knew what would happen. He would blow up the building, and if we didn't get out, Wilson wouldn't be the only one dead.

When we reached the street, Rose was cautious around the shop window dummies, her hand tightening around mine.

We were running down the street, my hair flying out behind me as I held my beanie tightly in my right hand.

Suddenly a cab pulled up out of no where, nearly running over Rose.

"Watch it!" The driver reprimanded as I pulled Rose closer to me. "Careful." I murmured, pulling her farther away.

A huge warm blast of air blew past us, and I spun around to see Hendrick's on fire, the windows blown out, the architecture of the building charred.

Rose then gripped my arm harder, pulling me down the street.

The night was dark, the air smelling of smoke, cold winds taking away the warmth of the fire. I could hear the crackling of the flames and the fire alarms as the building burned. Alleys were darker, causing me to want to turn away, but a large blue box stood in the middle of one.

It was a "Police Public Call Box" it being a deep rich blue, with small windows. What? I thought, Rose quickly pulling me away from it.

Who was this Doctor man? And why was I so nervous to give him my name?