Seeing Red

Javier and I split the money, being sure to give the gang it's cut. After all these robberies I've been doing with Javier I managed to save up a decent portioned money for myself. Totaling around 300 dollars.

I make my way towards the edge of a slight cliff off horseshoe overlook. Feeling the breeze on my face is nice. I'm so happy we moved down here, even when we were in Blackwater the weather was never this nice. Usually it was just too hot with little rain to cool off. I bring a piece of paper and begin writing the letter to my brother.

"Hyah!" I hear from my left, accompanied by a swish of wind. It's Jack with a large stick, swinging it through the air like a sword.

"What are you playing Jack" I ponder with a light hearted laugh.

"I'm playing as a knight and this is my sword!" He continues swinging as if he was fighting an imaginary beast.

"Knights? Like as in Kings and dragons?"

"Yea! Uncle Hosea read me a book about them!" He says with excitement in his voice.

I can't help but feel joy to see him happy. Normally he's ignored, with no other kids to play with, it's nice to see him like this. I get up and find a stick on the ground, I grab it and brandish it.

"I challenge you to a duel Sir Jack!" I say in a exaggerated accent. Eagerly accepting my offer he joins me in a play fight.

"You'll never win!" He laughs out. Hitting my stick softly.

"You're no match for me young knight!" I retort back.

I don't use a lot of force with my hits, letting Jack get the upper hand. Even though Jack is a little kid, this is the most fun I've had all week. It's hard to be downtrodden when he's around. Jack reminds me of my nephews would be like, the youngest one is around Jacks age.

I get so caught up in the play fight with Jack that I didn't notice the approach of a mind behind me.

"Uncle Arthur! Mrs.Hope is playing knights with me!" Jack happily yells out.

Hearing Arthur's name causes me to turn around and face him. The familiar feeling of embarrassment once again envelops me.

Arthur smiles down at Jack.

"Is she now? Are you wining?" He asks looking down at Jack with kindness in his eyes. The kind of look that makes my heart melt.

"No I was!" He says proudly.

"Really?" Arthur asks "Hey Jack would you mind if I talked with Mrs. Hope for a minute?"

"Sure" He says a little sad but quickly gets over it. "Thanks for playing with me Mrs.Hope! Can we play again later?"

I blush at the idea of Arthur needing to talk to me, slightly dreading the interaction with Arthur. I focus on Jack and reply.

"Of course. I'll win next time, you'll see!" I say smiling at him .

Jack goes back toward camp and finds his mom in there tent waiting for him.

"So..um..what did you need to talk to me about?" I look down, refusing to meet his gaze.

"Look...l" he starts scratching his neck and tilting his head to the side. " ...I know things have been awkward between us...but I needed to ask you somthin'." he continues.

"Uh..sure..."

My mind floods with the possibilities of what he needed to ask me. What he asked I certainly didn't expect.

"Do you by any chance have a brother?" He asks

"What" I say, confusion in my voice. How would he know?

"Well I've been out collecting debts from Mr. Strauss and I saw the name Christopher Hope in his ledger. Apparently he borrowed some money from Strauss. I saw his name in the ledger. He finishes

WHAT THE HELL? Was my first thought.

Suddenly all the embarrassment left my body, the only thing I felt was pure rage.

My voice shaky from anger speaks out "Are you sure it's him?" I ask desperately hoping it's some sort of coincidence.

"I'm pretty shore. It said he was located in Strawberry, some place called 'Hope Ranch'." He says eying me carefully.

Without saying another word to Arthur I turn on my heels in search of that sleazy money lending bastard.
I find him standing by his tent. Ledger in hand.

Rage consumes me as I approach him. Before he can say anything to me I grab him by the collar of his shirt and slam him back into the wagon, pinning him there with deadly force. The ledger falling to the floor.

"What do you think you're going!?!" He utters entirely confused.

"Christopher. Hope." I tell him in a low voice, filled with intense anger. My eyes narrow looking him straight into his eyes.

I continue "You loaned him money and sent Arthur to get it back!" shoving him harder into the wagon. "What the HELL is your problem? Loaning money out to hard working people? Terrorizing them, threatening them half to death to get it back. At least when I rob folk I do it myself! I don't hide behind scary thugs, bleeding them dry for everything they've got like some kind of parasite!" I yell out.

At this point a group gathers around us, clearly shocked by my surprising out of character behavior.

Strauss is at a loss for words,
mumbling out a series of incoherent stammers. Scared at me for what I might do to him.

"ANSWER ME!" I yell out, my anger completely taking over.

Dutch comes through trying to restore the peace.

"Now what is all this about?" He looks at me "Victoria what in the hell are you doing?"

Still holding a firm grip on his collar, refusing to look away from him I respond out. "This bastard loaned out money to my widowed brother and is now sending people to beat and threaten him to get the money back"

"What?" He asking looking at Strauss. "Is this true" Dutch asks him.

The first intelligible thing he says since I've attacked him, Strauss answers Dutches question. " I-I didn't know it was Mrs. Hope's brother."

This enraged me more and I slam him back again.

"You saw his last name and didn't think to ask me!?!" I yell out lost in my fury. His idiotic reasoning getting me more angry.

"Strauss's absolve the damn debt!"Dutch yells out angry from all the fighting. Once again trying to restore the peace. "Mrs. Hope let the man go."

Even after hearing Dutch's order I don't let go. Still consumed by anger I stare back at Strauss with a look of pure hatred.

"Let him go Mrs. Hope" Dutch repeated.

I don't move an inch. Silence fall upon the camp as all eyes are on me. Suddenly I feel two pairs of hands pulling me back breaking my grip from his clothes.

It's Javier and Charles tugging me back. They are both good friends of mind and probably know if it was anyone else I'd fight back.

Accepting this I pull way front there grips. Still staring daggers back at Strauss. The camp is still silent and with deadly seriousness I say. "If they'll all weren't here..." I start, referring to the rest of camp. "....I'd probably kill you."

With those words hanging in the air, I storm back to my tent. Grabbing a bag, I start to pack some of my things. Just enough to last me a few days, including some clothes, money, my guns, knifes and bedroll. I step out of my tent and make a B line for Philly Midnight.

On the way I see Mrs.Grimshaw and say

"I'm be back in a few days."

After stowing my things on, I mount my horse and take off for Hope Ranch.