t w e l v e - you live the dream life

it's kind of loud in here,
let's get out of this p l a c e . . .

🌊🌊🌊

A father stepped up to my booth, glancing at the sheet on the side of the window that displays all the types of ticket packages we sell at the pier. The creases around his eyes and natural, tired grin told me that this wasn't his first and certainly not his last time here. Also the fact that his two kids were jumping around and squealing about The Vortex helped show that.

"Could we please have the family value pack?" He asked me once he decided a few seconds later.

"Sure thing," I smiled, grabbing a stack of tickets and handing them to him through the opening. He gave me exact change, thanked me, and walked away with his perfect family of four.

The overwhelming, mid-July heat didn't stop anybody from coming to the pier today. In fact, it seemed like it just persuaded people to get outside so they could melt in the sun while paying for overpriced entertainment to keep their kids happy. Or it might be because they enjoy being out with their loved ones. Either way, it wasn't my problem because in another hour, I'd be out of here until Monday.

With no one coming up to my window, I spun around in my stool to check the air conditioning unit. It shut off a little while ago and I'm not sure why because it's set on a certain cycle, and when I realized it hadn't been on in quite some time and the cool air was disintegrating, worry triggered inside me. I can't rot away in here.

I had no clue what to do with it, but I started pressing buttons to make it turn back on. I was so focused on becoming my own repairman that I didn't hear someone come up to the window.

"Excuse me?" A husky voice said after they cleared their throat.

I jumped at the sound, throwing a quick glance over my shoulder at them before going back to the AC. "Be right with you!" I chirped, trying to cover up how nervous I suddenly got. My fingers started frantically pushing on buttons and knobs, not knowing what to do next.

What if I broke it? What if I never get cold air in here again? Beverly will have a conniption, she'll fire me, then my parents will-

The customer cleared their throat again, and louder this time. A grunt emitted from me and I rolled my eyes in annoyance before whirling around to face them.

My heart jolted when I saw a familiar face in front of me. Blue eyes glowing as always, lips curled into a smirk, and tan arms leaning on the window ledge.

"Hi," Brody cooed.

I breathed a sigh of relief, my lips pulling upward at his presence. "Hey, what are you doing here?" I asked in a similar soft tone. I couldn't really help it though because he turns me into a soft spoken, babbling idiot in a matter of seconds.

"I thought I'd surprise you," he shrugged simply with his signature smirk in place. The one that makes a whirlpool circulate in my stomach. That smirk.

"How sweet," I gushed over the gesture, not being able to contain the blush coating my cheeks.

"What can I say? I'm a sweet kid," he playfully boasted. "How much longer you got?"

"Another hour."

His face morphed into an adorable pout as he propped his chin up with his hand and stared at me. "Wanna just leave now and come with me instead?" He lowered his voice.