e l e v e n - i already feel like i'm dead

she's just an ordinary girl,
she's all i ever w a n t e d . . .

🌊🌊🌊

Blissful.

The one word to sum up how I felt the next morning. That, and slightly dead. Because I still had to wake up at 5 o'clock for my shift at the diner.

The only thing that could bring me out of my zombie-like state was a hell of a breakfast, made by my dad before doors opened. At quarter to 6, you can bet I had myself planted on a minty green bar stool in The Sand Dollar, inhaling a sausage, egg and cheese sandwich like it was my last meal ever.

"If you don't stop to breathe, you're gonna choke to death," Robyn teased, sitting next to me at the counter.

I paused to wipe my mouth and answer her with a bleak retort. "I already feel like I'm dead so it doesn't matter." And I continued wolfing down my breakfast.

She laughed at me and shook her head, her terracotta curls bouncing with the movement. Being my godmother after all, I figured there was only a certain amount of time left before she asked me about my night and why I was so elated, yet wiped out. I just didn't want my mom around to hear it.

After finishing off my sandwich and the rest of my coffee, I glanced around the empty diner. Only Robyn and I were out in the dining area, while my parents were busy in the kitchen. I figured there wasn't a better time than right now since my mom isn't near.

My nosy godmother beat me to it.

"So girly, what'd you do last night? Go out drinking or something?" She spun her stool to face me, an inquisitive look drawn on her features.

I rocked back and forth in my spinning stool, smiling impishly at her. She continued to stare at me as she waited for my explanation.

"You could say that," I said with a nod. When I didn't go on, she shoved my shoulder and scoffed in annoyance, which made me chuckle.

"That's all I get? No story behind the odd glow you've got going on?" She looked me up and down and narrowed her eyes.

"Alright, alright," I appeased her, checking to make sure my parents weren't hanging around within earshot. I leaned closer to her, the smile poking through my lips impossible to avoid. "I hooked up with the guy I like last night. And it was amazing."

Robyn's jaw dropped to the floor in an instant. Her green eyes doubled in size, turning my excitement into confusion.

"Y-you mean you... had..." She didn't have the courage to finish that sentence, but I knew exactly what she meant.

"God, no!" I squealed, smacking her arm.

A look of pure relief washed over her entire demeanor as she slouched back. "Oh, okay. Thank God," she said in short pants. "I can't keep up with the lingo anymore."

"No, I didn't do that. We made out – is that clear enough for you?" I rolled my eyes, feeling a blush tinge my cheeks.

"Sorry hun, you gotta be unambiguous with an old lady like me," she chuckled. She's lucky I know what that word even means.

I shook my head, playing with a few strands of hair from my loose bun. I briskly debated on telling her about my whole fallout with Noah because honestly, I think I could use some elderly advice. All I've been getting is Jodie and Sadie's input – which is fantastic, don't get me wrong – but sometimes older people know a lot more than we think.