s e v e n t e e n - i better not regret this

i'm not buying the things you wanna say,
i've heard 'em all now a n y w a y . . .

🌊🌊🌊

My mom gave me a stern look from across the island in our kitchen, making me squirm in my seat at the bar stool. She let out a ragged sigh, then shook her head. I already know what's coming. "Lena..."

I couldn't help but roll my eyes. "Dad," I groaned, asking to get his input.

"Hun," he placed a hand on my mom's shoulder, gazing at her. She just kept her stare with me. "What are you thinking?"

She laughed a little, seeming flustered, and threw her hands in the air. "I'm thinking that it's a little ridiculous how you think it's normal to go away for the weekend with a boy you've only known for about a month. You're too young," she aimed her comment at me, continuously shaking her head as if that were the only motion she could manage.

"Well..." my dad trailed off, a slight grimace on his face which meant he pretty much agreed with her.

"Listen, I'm going to be a senior. I think I'm a responsible kid! I work two jobs, I pay for my car insurance, I don't get into trouble, I have good grades. What else do you want from me?" I listed everything off on my fingers, giving them a clueless look. When they didn't answer right away and I saw my dad shrugging his shoulders and nodding along, I went on. "Besides, there's going to be plenty of adults there between all the judges and the sponsors. It's not like all the kids get to run free and go wild. The contestants have a curfew and they have to sleep to compete. Brody's done this alone before, but he just wants someone to come along this time. It was nice of him to ask me," I stated my argument, then sat back in my stool with my arms folded over my chest, waiting for their rebuttal.

My dad tentatively nodded his head again, his eyes darting up at the ceiling as he thought about his response. I was on the edge of my seat, waiting to see what he would say.

"She has a point. They can't just roam and do whatever they want all weekend. The whole point of it is the competition," he said to my mom, and she just sighed. I'm honestly shocked that my dad is somewhat siding with me. If anything, I would've thought my mom would be all for this – but it seems that the roles switched this time.

"Please, Mom? It's only a weekend," I stuck my lower lip out at her, using the puppy dog eyes as a last resort. "I've never done anything like this before, and it'd be so fun."

Her stare switched from me to my dad for a few seconds, and then it came back to me. "Fine," she flung her hands up in defeat a few seconds later. But she did it with a small smile, if I'm not mistaken.

"Thank you!" I shrieked, popping off my stool to give her a hug.

I heard her mutter, "I better not regret this," when I leaned over to give my dad a hug.

"Mom," I rolled my eyes yet again as I pulled away from my dad.

"I'm kidding. Kind of," she laughed, shooing me away. "Go tell Brody the good news."

I shouted another "thank you" over my shoulder before I headed out the front door, fumbling in my flip flops down the stairs to my car parked in the garage. I sent Brody a quick text that said I was coming over with good news, and then embarked for his house.

It's Friday afternoon, which means it's one week before we leave for Jersey. Yes, I'm an idiot who waited to tell her parents, but at least I didn't wait until the day before. Now that it doesn't matter, all I have to do is wait all week for the mini-vacation to get here – then it's Jersey for three nights with Brody. And his manager Owen, who acts like Brody's father figure in his life.