Quarry/History Lesson/Fear

I woke up the next morning to the sound of something hitting my window. I winced,getting up,my body throbbing,but knew the bruises were already almost gone. Dad never hurt me to where the town would know about it, or believe me if I told. I opened my window, and got smacked in the head with a tiny pebble. "Ow! What the hell?!" I looked down, and saw Bev in the alley between our windows, looking up at me. She had a fistful of rocks in her hand, and grinned at me. "Come on, Sleeping Beauty. Can you sneak out?" I carefully opened my door and looked out. My Dad was gone, and my guess was that he'd gone to buy some more of his damn alcohol. I ran out of the apartment as fast as I could, as I heard my Dad flush the toilet,realising he was still home. I heard him yell,"Get your ass back here, girl!", but kept running, until I hit the ground. Bev smiled,and took my hand,holding it. We walked through town towards the quarry, and she asked,"You okay?" I said,"Yeah..I'm fine. How about you, Firecracker?" She raised an eyebrow, and laughed. "Did you just call me Firecracker?" I shrugged, and answered,"It was the first nickname I thought of." She said,"I like it", and my heart skipped a beat.

We arrived at the quarry, and I saw the five boys standing on the edge of the cliff overlooking the water below. They were talking about who was going to jump first, and Bev smiled mischievously at me. She yelled,"I'll go!" I raised an eyebrow, then blushed, as she pulled off her clothes, standing in her undergarments. She winked at me, and I sighed, pulling off my clothes too. She grabbed my hand, holding it tightly, and smiled. We ran together to the edge of the cliff, then jumped. In the moment we were suspended in the air, everything seemed to be in slow motion. I looked at her, and she looked back at me, and in that second, I felt free, and I was happy. Then we crashed into the water, and all I saw was the water, until I swam to the surface. I heard Bev laughing, and looked up, watching as, one by one, the boys jumped. I laughed a bit, as I watched them surface, then froze, as I was splashed in the face with water. I slowly looked at Richie, and smiled. "You're dead,Tozier!" He screamed,"Shit!", and tried to swim away, but I dove under, and came up under him, making him fall backwards into the water. I smirked at him as he surfaced, then glanced across the water, and froze, the smile falling off my face as I saw Bill and Bev close to each other. Richie yelled,"Let's play a game of chicken!" They all took turns sitting on top of each other, but I stayed where I was, and watched. I belonged on the outside, and they..They all were good friends..They finished their game, and started swimming around. That's when I saw Bill and Bev looking at each other, and Ben watching them like I was. He obviously felt the same way about Bev that I did. Now I had two boys to compete with, and Bev had eyes only for Bill..I sighed, and swam to shore as they all did the same, and sat on the sand, watching the water shimmer and shine.

Bev grabbed a towel, and unfolded it on the sand, laying next to me, and asked,"What's wrong, Liv?" I said,"I wish I could be beautiful like the water.." She frowned, and told me,"Liv, you are. You're more beautiful than the water, and more dreamy than the sky at night. Boy, did that sound cheesy.." I smiled, and said,"It wasn't cheesy. Thanks, Bev." Minutes later, a boom box was blaring some rap song, and Bev had put sunglasses on, laying on the towel, and soaking up sun. All the boys were watching her, and so was I. All I wanted to do, right then and there, was kiss her. But I knew I couldn't. Because I knew she would probably hate me. And the boys would, too..Just like my father. She sat up, and everyone looked away. Richie reached into Ben's backpack, and asked,"Who sent you this?" He held up a postcard. Ben said,"No one." He snatched the postcard and put it back in his backpack, and about two seconds later, Richie had snatched a folder out of it. Eddie asked,"What's with the history project?" Ben said,"Well, when I moved, I didn't really have anyone to hang out with. So I started spending time at the library." Richie asked,"You went to the library? On purpose?" Bev got up, and said,"Oo, I wanna see." She sat next to Bill, and while everyone else started talking about history, they looked at the folder. Bill was looking at the folder, and Bev scooted closer to him to get a better look. I sat on the ground beside them, trying to keep the jealous look off my face. Bill suddenly looked closely at Bev, and said,"Y-y-your hair-" Ben said,"Your hair is beautiful." I don't know how I hadn't noticed, but Bev's long hair was now chopped short and curly. I smiled, and said,"It's perfect, Firecracker."