IT Got Her/Downward Descending/The Final Battle

The next few days were a blur, a mixture of policemen asking me about my father, a social worker talking to me, and Beverly Marsh. She came and saw me every single chance she got, whether it was when Alvin passed out drunk in his recliner, or when she was supposed to be grocery shopping, the girl who owned my heart always made time for me. And though that made my heart lighter than air, there remained a dull ache, a hole where the rest of the Losers belonged, and I dimly wondered why they hadn't bothered to visit me, or even call. I pushed the ache down, figuring maybe it was because of the way I'd handled being their friend..I had treated them like shit, every single time they tried to help me, and I couldn't expect that to just go away. After all, I definitely was no saint, and had slowly begun resenting every hateful word that had spewed from my mouth at the boys.

     At the same time, I began resenting myself, and wishing I could take back everything I had done to them, just so I could know they were okay.. Finally, on the day I was supposed to get let out of the hospital, the phone beside my hospital bed rang, and I answered it, dimly asking, "Hello?" Bill's voice, filled with fear, replied, "L-Liv, you gotta c-come to the Neibolt House." Just him mentioning that horrifying house sent shivers of fear lancing through my body, and I swallowed hard. "Why the hell do I need to go there? What's so important that I have to even set one damn foot on that fucking property?!" As Bill uttered the next three words, my heart fell deep into my stomach, fear rolling through me like a tidal wave, followed by white hot anger. The three simple words he uttered were, "IT g-got h-her." Instantly, I told him, "I'm on my way, Bill..You got the others, right?" As I talked, I stood up, pulling on my normal clothes, and shed my hospital gown, wincing as my not fully healed wounds protested. He replied, "Y-Yeah, they're all c-coming."

    After he confirmed that the rest of the Losers were heading there, I hung up, my thoughts racing a mile a minute. IT had Bev..IT had the girl I loved, and if we didn't save her in time- I shook my head, trying to clear off any thought other than that we would save her in time, not wanting to break down, knowing that for this battle, I had to stay strong. I ignored the nurse yelling at me that I couldn't leave yet, racing outside, and signed with relief, as I saw my bike chained up outside, a bit surprised that no one had stolen it since I'd been admitted. I climbed on, and sped off as fast as possible, not caring how much it hurt to move, or that we'd probably die down there. All I cared about was saving the girl I loved, and helping my friends defeat the evil clown that had tortured us with our worst nightmares. I arrived at the Neibolt house, just as the boys were dismounting their bikes. I slowly climbed down off of mine, and dropped it, walking over to them. Bill slowly bent down, and said, "G-guys, spikes."  He shoved metal fence posts into his backpack, and Eddie threw his fanny pack full of pills as far as he could, symbolizing that he, in fact, knew they didn't help, and wouldn't help him anymore. As I stared at them, I realised how far they'd come from a bunch of immature boys; They were smarter, stronger, and braver now, and they were my family. Richie picked up a glass beer bottle, and smashed it against the wooden railing of the front steps, sending glass spraying everywhere, and leaving him with only the top part of the bottle. He dropped it, disgusted, and slowly dropped it. I smiled slightly, then flinched, one hand going to my side, as it twinged. They all looked at me, and I shrugged, heading up the front steps. They all looked at each other, then followed close behind me.

   Bill and I slowly pushed the front door open, the hinges creaking like some unholy demon, and we cautiously filed inside. Ben's voice called out, "Stan?", and we all turned, to see Stan standing hesitantly in the doorway, looking petrified with fear. Bill said, "Stan, we all have to go. B-Buh-Beverly was right. If we split up like last time, that clown will kill us one by one. But if we s-stick t-together, all of us, we'll win. I promise." Stan slowly came inside, and we all turned back around, and began walking deeper into the darkened house. My heart pounded loudly in my ears, but I pushed the fear down, my only thought saving Bev and saving my friends from certain death. Flashlights dimly lit our way, as we journeyed down into the basement. We all eyes the stony, broken well in the middle of the room, and Richie, being his usual self to cover his fear, asked Eddie, "Hey, Eddie, got a quarter?" Eddie replied in disgust, "I wouldn't wanna make a wish in that fucking thing." We all peered down into the darkness, our flashlights barely penetrating the depths, and Ben shouted, "Beverly?" His voice echoed eerily down the inside of the well, sending chills down my spine. Of course, there was no answer, but I didn't really expect her to answer that easily. Mike asked, "How are we supposed to get down there?" Bill disappeared behind us for a minute, then returned with a long, thick rope. Mike tied it tight, then yanked on it to make sure it was secure, and Bill was the first to descend downwards, soon disappearing from sight. Next was Eddie, who trembled with fear, but bravely still journeyed downwards. Then, Stan went, and Ben, and Richie, and then, it was my turn. I grabbed tightly onto the rope, hissing with pain, as my wounds protested, but I clenched my teeth together, letting the feel of the rawhide rope digging into my skin push back the pain, as I slowly slid downwards.