Chapter 5

As soon as the door had closed his shoulders sacked in relief. The tension he'd felt was leaving his body at the distance that was between him and the wolf.

He ran his cold hands through his hair. One bare and one gloved.

He removed his clothes as he went. The bathroom was across the foyer and right down the corridor. All the way at the end, the tiled room awaited him.

The warm water was quickly flowing into the tub when he turned the tap. It would take some time to fill up so he headed back towards the kitchen in his underwear.

Every door in the corridor was closed. The heat from the fireplace wasn't enough to heat the entire house, but for the smaller space he'd created it was perfect.

At the sight of one of his framed pictures above the fireplace he remembered his forgotten camera on the table outside.

He shrugged and focused on the water kettle. He would have a hot chocolate while warming up.

By the time the water was boiled the tub had filled up. With the drink in hand he lowered himself into the hot water. His cold skin stung at the difference in temperature. He endured the comforting pain that brought back memories of his younger years.

The sound of the occasional water droplet hitting the water was the only sound echoing in the house. Crackling from the fire couldn't be heard as it had burned too low. The only indication of it's active life was the faint orange tint against his closed bedroom door at the far end of the corridor.

Anton had left the bathroom door open as usual. There had not been a reason for privacy in his home since his parents had passed.

The silence and warmth comforted his body although it left his mind reeling. Today he could have lost his fingers or worse; his life.

After half an hour in the tub his drink was empty and the hot water from earlier began to feel lukewarm. The whisky he had added to his drink left a warm buzz in his chest.

Getting out he slung a towel around his waist when scratching on the front door made him pause. It was louder and more persistent than it had been this morning. The low lighting of the fire at the end of the hall wasn't very comforting now. Deep shadows licked the walls as the small flames flickered.

The scratching turned frantic and metallic clicks were thrown into the mix.

The door handle.

The thought hadn't crossed his mind. When he came in from the cold he had still been in shock. Locking the door hadn't even crossed his mind.

With dread sinking in his stomach Anton was frozen in place. A few metallic noises later the rush of cold air was the only indicator of the intrusion. Damn him for oiling the hinges!

The cold air blew on his warm skin. Goosebumps shivered over him and the already low light dimmed another degree. The orange flicker on the end door turned black as a large shadow moved in front of it.

The cold air was steadily decreasing the overall temperature in the house. He had seconds before it would take hours to get it up again.

With wide eyes he listened as the soft tapping of claws on wood moved towards the kitchen, further away from his position.

It was now or never. Either risk freezing to death with a wolf in the house or not freezing but being killed by the wolf.

He didn't want to freeze or be killed though. So he made his way to the front door.

At the first opening in the corridor he turned left into the foyer and faced the front door. It was only open a slit, but the freezing air rushed in to claim the heat. With a tiny nudge the door closed and it clicked shut.

It was dead silent.

Anton was sure the wolf could hear the booming drumbeat that was making a terrible noise in his ears. He faced away from the door and into the living room to his right and towards the open kitchen that was connected to the large room.

The space was empty and silent. The flicker of the flame on the walls the only motion he could detect.

Had he imagined the sounds? Had he just forgotten to close the door and the wind had pushed through?

But no. There was no wind tonight. And the small patch of water on the floor in front of his large sofa confirmed his sanity.

Then slow clicks and scratches sounded as something turned behind the kitchen counter, out of his sight.

The snout was the first thing that he saw, bathed in a deep crimson. Then the large elegant head. The crimson patches spread to the wolf's chest and up from it's red paws.

The sight shocked him. The earlier white fur looked orange in the firelight. The eyes though were still just as cold and beautiful as before.

Half of the body was hidden behind the high kitchen counter. The animal's pricked ears were level with the counter top which came up to his own belly button.

"Please...don't hurt me. I haven't done anything to you." As manly as he always said he was, he had to acknowledge the quiver in his voice. The hungry expression returned to the wolf's eyes.

The low whine surprised him, but he didn't move as the wolf came towards him.

As the elegant animal stood before him it looked up into his eyes. For a long moment it stared at him and made him forget all about his fears.

Then it nodded.

Just like a human except accompanied by a low whine.

It's head turned to his limp hand hanging by his side. The cool contact made his fingers twitch as it pressed into his palm. Then it did something that embarrassed him to the highest extent.

Without warning, the massive wolf before him began wagging it's tail and shoved it's nose into the towel. Right between his legs.

And then it stayed there.

It didn't move.

Until it inhaled.

Inhaled his scent and he was shocked at the amount of arousal he felt. The blood now splattered on the once white towel reminded him of a whole different kind. The blood that resulted from pleasure and not pain or death.

His fingers gripped the wolf's head suddenly. The soft velvety fur of it's ears drew a groan out of him for some reason.

Then he just held the wolf's head where it was. The wolf purred, the vibration moving through it's whole body and Anton hoped, really hoped, that this was a she-wolf. For obvious reasons.

Vibrations continued to move through it's body and spread to his. The beautiful blue orbs were hidden behind the closed eyelids and his own began to close in pleasure as electric pulses and vibrations made his body light up in flames, pleasure and peace.