Chapter 8

"Okay, what about a name that starts with 'H'?"

Frustration had overpowered Anton before he had reached the letter 'D'. His heart was aching more the longer it took to discover her name.

His wolf twisted her head to look him in the eyes. Her sprawled figure was languidly stretched out beside his. The big book was propped up before her nose for both of them to read.

Name after name after name...

Her beautiful eyes blinked up into his. Her tongue licked his cheek once before her head offered him a negative shake as answer.

"Okay, so that's a no to 'H'. What about 'K'? There are lots of names beginning with 'K'."

Looking at her she held his eyes in hers. To him they looked unimpressed. What had he done? He wondered as he stared back at her.

She sighed as her paw waved in the air. Her eyes looked at the book when her claw caught the page and flipped it over.

"Oh! I get it now. You want me to read the names out to you don't you? Does yours start with 'H' after all?"

The big wolf huffed and placed her paws over her eyes. She began to whine when he asked her what bothered her.

Looking at the tome in his hands he scanned over the endless list.

Habiba
Hadria
Haeli
Hajna
Halcyn
Halina

And that were just a few.

The wolf pointed at the book again and he flipped the page. Her motion continued until the letter 'I' was printed in a large font.

He looked at her. She looked at him.

"Your name starts with 'I'?" His voice was gruff and soothing. He was happy to finally be a step closer to knowing who she truly was.

His female nodded and looked back at the book as if reading for herself.

Well, she communicated almost humanly with him, Anton figured. So was is so far stretched that she could read as well?

His own eyes scanned the old yellowed pages.

Iana
Ianthe
Ibbie
Ida
Idalia
Idarine

He looked at the back of his wolf's head. It didn't move an inch. Her gaze was fixed on one specific name. To his disappointment he couldn't guess the exact one.

"Which one is it?" He whispered close to her ear.

He felt her shiver under his arm and her reaction pleased him more than he dared to admit.

Her claw moved over the old page leaving an indent behind in it's path. It stopped close to the top of the page and his eyes zoomed in on the three letter name.

Ida. Her name was Ida! He slowly read through the description of her name.

"Origin: Greek
Ida as a girl's name of Old German and Greek origin meaning "hardworking". It also possibly comes from an Old English expression for "prosperous" or "happy". In mythology, there was a Greek nymph who cared for the infant Zeus on Mount Ida."

What a beautiful name for his beautiful wolf.

"It is beautiful love." She purred when he held his head next to her ear. He breathed her scent in. It wasn't bad anymore, but she still smelled like dog. He would give her a bath in a bit.

Out of curiosity, he flipped back to the section where his name could be found in.

"Origin: Slavic
Anton as a boy's name is pronounced AN-tohn. It is of German and Slavic origin."

It left him slightly disappointed when Ida had a more historic name than him. In the end it really didn't matter. They both  had beautiful names.

He put the book down on the small side table and pushed her off the sofa.

Since Ida hadn't expected it she tumbled down and lay on the ground blinking up at him.

He smiled cheekily as he rested his chin on his hands to look upon her.

She growled lowly at him, a warning that only made him laugh merrily.

"Save it for later love. We're going to get you cleaned up first. Come on!"

His long legs carried him to the bathroom where he opened the valves. Hot water was soon running into the tub. He took his shirt off and turned around to get Ida when he saw her waiting in the door.

Her tongue slowly licked along her lips, over her sharp teeth. Anton could see the hunger in her eyes.

He silently thanked whomever was looking out for him as he really didn't do much exercise. Yet his body was still fit.

"Hop in." His voice sounded odd to his own ears, husky.

With slow steps Ida walked towards the tub. Her eyes stayed on him when her upper body braced on the edge before lowering her front paws in. For a moment she was fine, until she panicked. The rim was too high for her to gain any leverage. She was stuck.

He laughed at the scene. When she growled, telling him that it was not funny, he helped her in. His hands took her back legs and his upper body bent over her back.

Lifting her in he felt quite awkward when she looked at him. She had been thinking the same thing as he.

He wasn't about to let her go so she could run back to whatever wolfs she called family.

She was his and his alone.

So he pushed his thoughts away and began to wash her.

When his hands finally finished moving over her curved figure he wasn't the only one panting.

It didn't help him either that Ida now smelled like him. He had used his shampoo on her hair.

He had marked her with his scent.

Marked her as his.
Unknowingly.

And he could just see how it would come back to bite him.
Literally.