Epilogue

The group had finally made it home safe. The truck had sped away with the three humans in the interior. The bulk had been stowed away in the back on the way to a hospital. Anton didn't think it likely that he'd make it.

Over his shoulder Ida's father whined as they made it the last few metres to the homestead. Ida came rushing out the front door and called her father over and over again. "He'll be fine love." He was just grazed by the bullet. 

Ant carried the overgrown wolf into the warm interior. Percifus perked his head up as Ant entered, but returned to licking his brothers side. Soft whimpers escaped from Ida's brother. Carefully, as not to tear on the injury, Ant sat Ida's father down before the fireplace. The flames cackled soothingly and Ida's other uninjured brother nudged the still open door closed.

Ant came over to the couch where the injured wolf lay. His side was exposed and Ant could clearly see the large open wound. They had shot at him with a shotgun. Ida was pacing behind the couch, she didn't know what to do. "Ida could you bring me the tweezers out of the bathroom please?" 

Her footsteps quickly left and then returned. "I'll also need a bottle of alcohol, there should be one in the cabinet where you found the first aid kit and a bowl please. Also a bucket with warm water and a rag." 

Anton spoke to the wolf on his couch. "You'll be okay. Maybe this will teach you a lesson to be more careful next time." A weak growl emerged through the gritted teeth before turning into another whimper. Ida came back shortly after with all the requested ingredients.

First ant placed vodka in the empty bowl. He disinfected the tweezers before beginning to pick the shrapnel out of the open wound. Ida held her brothers head in her hands to stop his attempt of biting Anton's hands. Once all the pieces were out Ant dipped the clean rag in the warm water and cleaned all the blood. The blood flow was already beginning to slow, but the wound still needed to be sanitised. Ant took the bottle of alcohol and dipped it over a clean rag. He then dabbed it over the entire area of the wound to the howls of the wolf. He knew from experience just how much it would sting.

Once that was done, Ant proceeded to wrap bandages around his stomach and tied it off. With an "All done." he went on to the next wolf. Ida's father had been quiet throughout the procedure. Now though his ears perked up and he waited patiently for Anton to come to his side.

"Alright old man," the wolf growled at the name "time for you to get cleaned up." Anton got a few new clean rags and another clean bowl. Since the next wolf only had a graze he just disinfected the wound and wrapped a bandage around his shoulder where the injury had been.

While cleaning up, Anton felt Ida's arms sneak around is waist from behind. "Thank you, Ant!" Anton paused and quickly dried his hands before turning around in her arms.

"For what?" His quizzical tone must have amused Ida as a bright smile took over her face. She simply leaned up and gave him a peck on the lips. "For being hear, by my side and treating my family as your own."

Anton chuckled down at her and kissed her brow. "They are my own family."

Ida's eyes sparkled as she leaned up again. This time he met her halfway.

Anton was content, his mate was in his arms, his family was safe and their future lay ahead of them. There were many obstacles they'd have to face and many more fights he was sure, but there was no place he'd rather be than in the arms of his Ida.

"I love you Anton" His beautiful mate said as she looked up into his eyes with adoration and love.

"I love you too my wolf. Now, and forever."