Chapter 11

The sun had set mere hours ago, but neither of them were tired just yet.

Both their bodies were exhausted from the long day of labour. Their minds though had not yet reached their limit as they were watching the fire in the old fireplace.

It was silent, save for the crackling of the dry logs. Ant, as well as Ida, were simply enjoying each other's company.

The soothing atmosphere reminded Anton of all the nights he'd spent with his parents in this very room. It was so long ago that he'd last seen them. He had forgotten the last conversations they'd exchanged.

He wasn't sad at all though at his parents' passing. No, he was glad that they had been in love until the very end not having to experience the other dying first. This way they were together in life and in death for evermore.

The one thing that did disappoint him was that they had left before ever having a chance to meet his Ida.

He hadn't even noticed his tightening grip on his beautiful lady before her inquiring whine brought his attention back into the present.

"Sorry, love. I was just thinking about how sad I am that Mom and Dad never got a chance to meet you." His eyes were still fixed on the hypnotizing flames while his soft apologetic voice was almost lost among another crackle.

Ida's cold nose against his neck reapplied the smile to his lips. Her presence comforted him more than anything else in his life ever had. "I'm glad you are here with me. I don't know what I would do without you or how I ever survived before not having by my side."

A few huffs and a long lick over his stubble later and he was chuckling too. His fingers weaved deeper into the fur on her side and gripped tightly. His teasing voice echoed was absorbed by the thick walls. "But since I have now met you, you're going to have a hard time escaping my home."

One look into her eyes told Anton exactly what was on her mind. Her mocking eyes jokes back while she teasingly snapped her teeth together. What makes you think I would ever want to leave your side again?

"Maybe my overbearing possessiveness of what's mine?" The smile on his lips could not only be seen, but also heard in his voice as he answered her question with his own. He overplayed his anxiety with humour hoping desperately for her to choose to stay with him anyway.

Her eyes didn't bear an answer for him for quiet some time. His heart began to freak out, assuming her silence to confirm his insecurity. Even though he was not a wolf, in the human terms he still classified as an Alpha male. Once Ant considered people as friends and allies, they automatically became his family. And Anton was very protective of his family which had caused so many girls back in Highschool to flock around him.

Now that he had met his wolf, there was no limit to what he would do for her. He had the money and he had the connections to make whatever she wanted come true, but it came at a price. Anton was possessive and she had to know what she was getting into before they took things further than they had already gone.

His attention was still on her unwavering eyes. The deep pools of blue felt like drills digging into his brain. Trying to judge the sincerity behind his joking attitude.

After what felt like hours, his beautiful lady seemed to reach a conclusion. In a great show she stood up on the couch and looked at Anton when he drew a sharp breath. Her eyes stayed focused on his face daring him to utter a single word with her narrowed eyes.

Slowly she began to turn away from him. Her head turned towards the door as her paws swiveled around to face the door as well.

Anton's head dropped while his heart was crushed inside his chest. He couldn't believe that the wolf was truly leaving. He admitted defeat. He had never thought that the wolf would actually leave him, just because he would never be comfortable with her being around another unknown male.

His heart felt like it was being ripped into shreds and he had the urge to vomit his dinner up.

"It's okay" Ant forced himself to say. His head was still hung low and it appeared he hadn't even realised that no weight had left the couch or moved the whole time he had walloped in his own mind. "I will understand and respect your choice."

Ida had had enough of her man's dejection. So it seemed anyway when her fluffy tail quite literally gave him whiplash. As she circled the same spot on the couch where she had been perched before her tail continued to whip across Anton's cheek. The tip of her tail bones struck Anton a few more times as she didn't even look like she noticed it. Her sole attention was on walking in a circle on the couch. She didn't look at Anton, but knew his eyes followed her in a confused manner.

What was she doing? He asked himself. He thought she had already left. It was when she had finished her fifth circle and her body folded back onto the cushions that his heart leapt inside his chest. Hope and relief fought for dominance and were locked in a battle as Ida's laughing eyes called him an Idiot.

You didn't think a little display of Alpha was going to chase me away did you? The mischief in her eyes was enough to make him release the breath he'd been holding.

"Never do that to me again Ida. If you do, I can't guarantee my survival after the heart attack I'll suffer." He hadn't given her any time to find a comfortable position again. Drawing her into his arms he held her head pressed firmly against his chest.

Sensing his need for comfort, she pressed her head more firmly against his muscled body and moved her head against his form.

It was comforting and reassuring for both of them. They were in for the long run now. Anton could not imagine his future without Ida in it. And although he was still shaking from the unimaginable fear that had consumed him before, he couldn't help but admire her cheekiness. He would have to be careful not to fall for her tricks again. Ant knew though that he had only just begun falling in a different way. And it was already deeper and further than he could ever fall for her tricks. His fear and insecurity only proved his point, because if Ida ever left his heart would be too deeply entwined in hers to ever recover.