Chapter 6 - Attacked

15:05 – Day 1

Petra stared down at the blade in her hands, feeling herself start to smile. She was feeling a lot better about going out again, now that she at least had some sort of weapon.

Raising her head, Petra walked towards one of the gas station's large glass windows. A blizzard was raging outside, bathing the landscape in snow and fog. The sky was visibly starting to grow dimmer as night loomed closer.

Petra shivered slightly, the mere sight of the storm outside making her feel even colder. It wasn't the warmest building, and definitely not a long term hide-out. Luckily she knew there was a cabin nearby, a wooden one at that. Hopefully it was still in good shape, and well insulated.

She turned away from the window with a sigh, still holding the hunting knife. Subconsciously biting her lip as she puzzled over what she should do next. Probably search out the building, see if there was maybe any water.

Petra leaned back against the wall and closed her eyes for a few seconds, reaching up to rub her pulsing forehead. In reality, there was nothing she wanted more at that moment than to just lay down and sleep.

Her eyes flew open at a shuffling sound. Petra glanced around, her gaze searching for any movement.

"Hello?" Petra felt stupid for even calling out in the first place, of course no body was going to answer her. She was probably just imagining things.

She shook her head, pushing herself off the wall. Glancing around the dark building, trying to see where she hasn't been yet.

Petra walked in the direction of the cash register, her eyes catching some energy bars there. Not many, but it was at least something to go along with the canned food.

"Don't get me wrong." Petra muttered under her breath. "The food's great, but does this place serious not having any wa-"

Her voice cut off and she raised her head. Looking around for anything that could have caused the shuffling noise she heard.

"Focus, just focus." Petra muttered to herself, walking behind the register to see if there was anything else she could take.

She raised her eyebrows, staring down at the scene in front of her. The remains of broken planks lay in a heap on the tiled floor, covered in ash and burned out coal.

"Seems I wasn't the first to take refuge in here." Petra thought out loud, kneeling down by the fire.

She held her hand over the unlit fire, feeling for any heat. When she didn't feel any, she stood back up. Glancing down at the knife in her hand, wondering if the person who left it there was the same person who built the fire.

Petra stiffened, hearing more shuffling noises. This time accompanied by scratching. She stepped back out into the open, glancing around and subconsciously raising the knife.

"If anybody's there.... come out." Petra said in a hesitant voice.

Somewhere in the shadows, a low growl responded to her demand. Petra gulped slightly, feeling her heart start to beat rapidly. She took an uncertain step back, her blue eyes darting around anxiously. Barely even feeling the continuous throbs in her head any more.

Then slowly, two green eyes became visible in the shadows as the shape of creature's face became clear. Lips curling back in a snarl.

Petra took another slow, shaky step back, her grip tightening around the knife she was holding. The animal stayed in the shadows, slowly beginning to move as it sized up it's prey.

Sweat broke out on Petra's face as her eyes swiftly searched for an escape route. The creature was between her and the door – not that going out in the blizzard would be any more of a pleasant way to go.