Chapter 12 - Safe Together

9:30 – Day 2

"Considering our circumstances, I wouldn't say the two of us have it too bad at the moment." Petra said as she dug through the backpack.

Jesse snorted slightly, adjusting her position on the floor beside Petra. "I guess, looking at it from an insanely optimistic point."

"Well, since you – our number one source of optimism – are a little out of character right now, I thought I'd step in and try on the optimistic hat for a change." Petra said, causing Jesse to vaguely chuckle and shake her head.

"We have warmth-" Petra said, gesturing at the fire place. "-food-" she placed the two cans of tomato soup on the carpet. "-and as soon as that blizzard outside has calmed down, we can swap out the cans of soda for some proper water."

"I guess you are right." Jesse admitted, shuffling slightly closer. "I just wish the situation was even better, you know? I'd much rather be hunched in front of our fire place, back home."

"Me too." Petra agreed, starting to open the first of the two cans with the can opener Jesse had found. "Even just our memories would have been nice. Maybe there's a perfectly good, not-so-terrible reason we're out here?" Petra cringed slightly at the end of her sentence. "Okay, never mind, that's too optimistic for even me to pull off."

Both of them chuckled again, as Petra went back to opening the cans of tomato soup. Jesse rested her gaze on the fire, watching the flames licking hungrily at the wood.

What if they ran out of firewood? She wondered to herself, pulling her knees up to her chest and wrapping her arms around them.

"Man, it is raging out there." Petra stated, as the wind howled violently.

"Yeah." Jesse replied in a small whisper, resting her chin on her knees. "Glad I'm not out there right now..." Her voice trailed off.

"Hey." Petra said, putting a hand out onto Jesse's back and causing the shorter girl to look up at her. "I'm not going to let what happened earlier repeat itself, okay?" She said to Jesse in a serious, yet gentle tone.

"Thank you." Jesse managed a small smile. "I don't know what I would have done, had you not run into me."

"Now don't get too sappy." Petra said, nudging Jesse's shoulder with hers.

Both their smiles quickly faded when they heard what sounded like heavy boots on wood. Coming from outside the front door.

Petra was on her feet in a split second, pulling out the hunting knife. Jesse shakily got up as well, her expression laced with fear.

"Stay behind me." Petra breathed, keeping the knife defensively raised.

There was a shuffling outside, the sounds of somebody trying to open the door. Petra slowly crept closer with the knife, with Jesse cowering a few feet behind her. The door slowly began to creak open. The figure in the doorway was a mere black silhouette against the blinding white background.

"Back off." Petra said through gritted teeth, raising the knife.

The figure immediately took a step back from her, right as the wind blew shut the door behind them. Their back hitting the door, they immediately stumbled forward again, loosing their footing and ending up in a heap at the redhead's feet.

But as Petra looked down, she was met with two very familiar blue eyes staring back up at her. She had to blink a few times to make sure she wasn't hallucinating. "Lukas?"

"Petra." Lukas breathed in relief, breaking into a relieved smile.

"Lukas!" Jesse gasped as well as she came up beside Petra, immediately dropping to her knees and wrapping her arms around the blonde.