Chapter 23 - Becoming Too Much

14:50 – Day 2

Lukas lay a hand on the frosted over window, staring out at the grey landscape. Gusts of wind were beginning to dust the horizon with fresh snow, another blizzard looming closer. There had been no sign of Olivia or Petra yet.

Jesse was sitting on the carpet in front of the fire place, her chin resting on her knees. Shivering slightly, despite the warmth of the flames right in front of her.

"Do you think they're o-okay?" She asked Lukas as he came walking back over, sitting down beside her.

"I hope so." Lukas replied, rubbing his sore leg.

Jesse let out a shaky sigh, closing her eyes. Lukas placed an arm around her shoulder, pulling her slightly closer to him. She leaned her head over, resting it against his shoulder as her eyes remained closed.

"I'm scared." Jesse whispered. "Scared that something will happen to them."

"Me too. Me too." Lukas replied softly.

"So you'll be staying here with me and Axel?" Jesse asked, opening her eyes again to look up at Lukas. "Because of your leg?"

"Yeah." Lukas responded, giving Jesse a faint smile. "I may not be fit for walking long distances, but I can still look after my friends."

Jesse managed a small smile in return, before closing her eyes again. Lukas's face fell, his blue eyes swirling with concern. He could tell that, while Jesse was mostly keeping it to herself, she really wasn't doing well.

Lukas turned his attention back to the flickering flames as well, watching as they slowly crawled across the newest log he had put in about ten minutes ago. Slowly beginning to eat away at the wood, softly crackling.

"Lukas?"

He quickly turned his head to look at Jesse again. Her eyes were back open, gaze resting on the flickering flames.

"Do you think... do you think this winter will fade again?" She asked. "Will we ever see another summer?"

"I don't know." Lukas admitted with a light sigh. "I guess all we can do is..." He trailed off.

"Hope." Jesse softly finished.

It was quiet again, the only sound being the crackling from the fire place and the blowing wind outside. Jesse had closed her eyes again, slowly beginning to drift off as she rested against Lukas. His eyes were open, continuing to stare into the flames.

So many fears and worries were floating around his head, keeping his heart beating at a swift pace.

Lukas closed his eyes, taking a slow, deep breath. He had to stay calm and keep it together for Jesse's sake. At least until the others came home and she could have Petra for comfort again.

The sudden creak of a person's weight on the wooden floor made both Jesse and Lukas's heads jerk up. Both of them quick got to their feet, right as the front door began to open. Running over, ready to welcome their friends back with open arms.

But to their surprise, only one person stood in the doorway. Olivia was covered in snowflakes, her long black hair wet and sticking to her skin. She had her arms wrapped around herself, shivering violently. Large patches of her red coat seemed to be completely soaked, the red fabric a few shades darker than it should be.

"Olivia?" Jesse asked with a gasp.

"Where are the others?" Lukas added. "Were you and Petra able to find Axel?"

Olivia looked up to face them, fresh tears almost instantly welling up in her brown eyes. Only then did Jesse and Lukas notice the visible stains down her cheek.