Chapter 17: Getting Answers

1 Day Before Incident

Beacontown wasn't just cold and miserable any more, it was cold, miserable and dark. After the power went off, nobody were able to get the redstone going again, meaning Beacontown was left in pitch blackness.

Citizens were beginning to leave. Those who weren't too sick to, wanted to try and find a place in the world they could survive. Every day, the Order woke up to a few less people within the city walls.

The Order themselves had begun loosing hope that they could still save the future. Not only was Olivia heartbroken over losing the entire Redstonia, but Jesse was also steadily going down hill.

Everybody had accepted that what had happened to their leader, was in fact the same thing that has been taking out people and animals all over the world. No medication or treatments were helping for her growing symptoms as she slowly got sicker over the days.

Everybody were on the verge of giving up, not knowing what next step to take, or what to do next.

It was late at night, a mere few hours until midnight came. Outside, a blizzard was raging wildly, wind howling through the entire, empty Beacontown.

Despite the time, all five members of the Order were huddled up in the living room, under thick blankets in front of the fireplace. Feeling not only too miserable to spend the night by themselves, but also too cold.

Jesse was seated in the middle, her eyes completely closed. She was leaning slightly back against Petra, the redhead having her arms protectively wrapped around Jesse. Lukas sat beside them, thoughtfully staring down at the empty mug in his hand, that had formerly been holding some hot cocoa. On the other side of Jesse and Petra, Olivia was lifelessly gazing into the flickering flames of the fire, while Axel was contently eating something he had dug out of the kitchen.

Nobody really spoke any words, just silently keeping their thoughts to themselves. Not being able to help the feeling of hopelessness that hung in the air.

"Do you guys think we need to leave too?" Everybody looked up upon hearing Olivia's question.

"Leave?" Lukas asked softly.

"We're almost the only people still left here." Olivia pointed out softly. "Might as well go and... you know, start over. Some place else."

"Where would we go, then?" Petra pointed out softly. "The cold came from all four directions. How would we know if there even is a place, that could provide more to us than what's left of Beacontown can?"

"It was just a thought." Olivia whispered, resting her head back down on her knees.

"It's not a bad plan, if we just knew where to go." Axel responded. "We can pack all our belongings and just head out. We don't even have to worry about the horses, considering the owner of Beacontown's local stables took them along with his, for us."

"If only we had a final destination in mind." Lukas said, sighing.

"So, is this really how it's all going to end?" Jesse whispered, speaking for the first time.

"I refuse to let us go out this way." Petra responded, tightening her grip around Jesse. "I refuse."

Jesse only closed her eyes again, remaining in Petra's grasp. Not having enough energy in her to keep speaking.

Everybody's attention were quickly seized by a tentative knock at the door. They exchanged glances, only knowing of one other person it could possible be.

"What would Radar be wanting at this hour?" Lukas asked, getting up from the couch.

He began walking in the direction of the hallway, Olivia getting up and quickly following after him. Axel, Petra and Jesse remained seated.