Abandoning the Mother Country

Boston Massachusetts: July 5, 1766
Percy was not in the mood to listen to Matt's complaints. Yesterday, the colonists has declared independence. Today, Percy was going to put his life behind that hope. Yet, there he was, waiting in line to help defend his country and he was being bothered by a petty, pampered loyalist.
"I told you," Percy said. "I'm enlisting."
      "What do you mean?" Matt asked. "You can't abandon our mother country!"
      "Britain is the country at fault," Percy replied flatly.
       "They protected us for decades," Matt said.
         "They constrained us for decades," Percy countered. "Now is the time for us to unyoke ourselves."
     Matt snorted and left. Percy felt glad that he was gone. Matt had relentlessly teased Percy's brother Tyson after he had lost one of his eyes in an accident. If only those blasted redcoats had kept their bayonets covered, Percy thought. Percy was glad Tyson was still too young at 14 to fight because what if the other soldiers teased him too?
       When it was his turn, he saw a man with a gentle smile gracing his face. He was older with a brown hair and beard. Percy knew that he was the recruiter: Mr. Chiron.
     "Name and age?" Mr. Chiron asked.
      "Percy Jackson, 18," Percy said and Mr. Chiron recorded down his answers.
       "How long do you want to enlist for?" Me. Chiron asked. "If you enlist for three years, you get a $20 bonus."
     "I'll enlist for the entire war," Percy said rashly.
     Mr. Chiron raised one eyebrow, but recorded his answer before pushing the document towards him.
     "Sign at the bottom," Mr. Chiron said. "You should report to the square to meet your commander tomorrow morning at 9."
        Percy left the recruiting station with a smile drowning his face. He couldn't believe it. He was going to be a real soldier — not just a militia man like so many others. His new job meant new opportunities. The pay was better that the little money he earned doing odd jobs to supplement the income his mother earned from selling smuggled molasses.
       When he arrived at his mother's house, he saw Sally Jackson stitching up one of Tyson's trousers. Sally Jackson has taken to the idea of liberty as quickly as Percy had. While he had listened to the speeches proclaimed by members of the Sons of Liberty, she was a true Daughter of Liberty who boycotted tea and wove clothes for her family.
    Before Percy could speak, his mother seemed to sense something and she stated, "You're leaving, aren't you?"
       Suddenly, Percy felt his elation decrease.
      "I want to fight for my country," he said.
        Sally moved over to her son and hugged him. Though he did not admit it, Percy was his mother's boy through and through.
       "I'll miss you," she said. "You take care; promise me you'll return."
       "I'll return," Percy promised.
        "You're going off to fight?" Tyson asked, walking into the room.
     He must have his and eavesdropped on us, Percy thought. Oh well, there is no use scolding him now.
     "Yes, I'm going to fight, Tyson," Percy said, closing his brother's shoulders. "I'm going to fight for our freedom."