Fighting With Words

Pennsylvania: August 6, 1776
      Reyna felt her racing heartbeat settle as she crept back into the British camp. Underneath the skirts of her purple dress, she was carrying missives that she had managed to steal from the rebel colonists. She saw Jason, a soldier from England whom she had befriended as she walked over to the officers' tent and he waved at her. Reyna smiled back and continued walking.
     She arrived at the officers' tent and cleared her throat until she was invited into it. The tent was large and spacious and Mars had somehow managed to make it look cozy with warm blankets that his wife had knitted for him and a wooden side table covered in maps. It was raining, but her many layers had kept the papers fairly dry and they crinkled when she unfurled them and handed them to Mars, the commanding officer at the camp.
      "Good job Reyna," Mars said as he read over them. "These will be helpful. The colonists have no idea of your true loyalties?"
     "They think of me as a mere woman," Reyna answered.
     "Then that will be their downfall," Mars mused. "Underestimating the enemy's is the first step to defeat. I told Parliament that before the Boston Tea Party, But did they listen to me and take action? Of course not. Politicians are all words and no action."
     Reyna nodded. That is why she was drawn to the army. At least they took action. They were quick to respond while Parliament sometimes dawdled.
     "These missives will help us plan the next attack," Mars said. "You did well to find such valuable information."
    Reyna smiled. She thought nothing could bring her mood down until she heard voices. She looked behind her to see Jason leading a woman into the tent. Although he had tied her hands behind her back with a rope, Reyna couldn't help wanting to be her for a fleeting moment.
     "I found her loitering around the tents," Jason reported.
      "Do you think she's a spy?" Reyna asked.
       "She could be," Mars grunted. "Women make good spies. Most military officers talk freely around them. What should we do with her?"
     "Please sir, I am loyal to the British cause," the woman said.  
    She managed a curtesy that looked neat considering the fact her hands were tied behind her back. She had long brown hair that was pulled back in a braid and her clothes were plain and worn, but she was stunningly pretty. Runs noticed that Mars was still glaring at her, but Jason stared at her thoughtfully with a soft expression on his face.
     "Why should we believe you?" Mars asked gruffly.
      "My mother is a colonist, but my father is a Cherokee and I wish to support my father's side," the woman said.
     "Who is your father?" Mars asked.
       "Tristan McLean," the woman said. "My name is Piper."
     "Tristan?" Mars said with a frown. "I know him. He was a fine soldier. Are you Aphrodite's daughter?"
     "I am one of them," Piper said with a smile.   
       "Your mother is a fine lady," Mars said. "If only she had better luck with life. Alright, I'll not punish you. We could use some help here. Most of the soldiers could learn a thing or two about hygiene. Reyna, will you show Piper around?"
    Reyna nodded, but she really didn't want this.