What a Chase

Pennsylvania: July 31, 1776
     When Percy unzipped the tent he shared with his fellow comrades, he was unable to stifle a gasp of shock. All of his fellow comrades were gone except for one, Luke Castellan. Even more shocking was the fact that a woman was sleeping beside him. Luke's arm was draped over her and her curly blonde hair hid most of her face, but from the little Percy could see, she was beautiful.
Percy had been awake the entire night on sentry duty and he wanted to sleep more than anything. He didn't care that Luke and the strange woman were asleep.
"What in the name of all things holy are you doing?" Percy asked loudly.
His voice woke up the slumbering stranger. She blinked and blushed as she realized what was happening. Percy hoped she would go away shyly, but as Luke was roused by the commotion, she seemed to gather courage.
"Sleeping," she said with a smirk.
"Well this is my tent," Percy said. "Get out!"
"This is our tent," Luke corrected, rubbing sleep from his eyes.
"Yes," Percy agreed, "and she is not a soldier, so I think she should leave."
"I'm not leaving just yet," the woman said with a huff.
"Yes, you are," Percy said, picking up her clothes and tossing them to her.
"No, I'm not," the woman said. "Luke owes me a hot meal."
"I'll get you that meal and you'll leave," Percy said.
"I need to dress first," the woman said.
"Fine," Percy said, turning away. "I'm not looking."
He closed his eyes and put his hand before them, so that she could be assured of her privacy. He might be incensed with her, but his mom has taught him to treat women — no matter how rude — well. A man who treats women badly, his mom has once said, is not a man at all. Those words made Percy's insides squirm with guilt. Perhaps he had been too short-tempered with the woman, but he was tired and famished too. War consisted of more waiting than Percy had anticipated.
"I'm dressed," the woman said. "Now, are you going to give me a hot meal or not?"
Percy uncovered his eyes and opened them. He stumbled out of the tent. His limbs were heavy with exhaustion as he cooked a slab of salted beef and made a griddle cake out of flour and water for the woman. When it was done, he wiped off as much ash as he could and put the food on his sole tin plate. His stomach growled, but he forced himself to not eat any of it.
     He reentered the tent and gave the food to the woman. She gave him a small smile and he studied her as she ate. She had stormy grey eyes that looked as steely as a sword and her face was closed off. Despite this, something about her seemed familiar,
       "What's your name?" Percy asked when she finished her meal.
       "Annabeth Chase," she said simply. "Why?"
         Percy felt as if he had been struck by the hoof of a charging horse,
        "Do you know someone by the name of Magnus Chase?" He asked.
     "He's my cousin," she said. "I haven't seen him since I was seven."
      "Then, I suppose I must reunite you," Percy said.
    After all, his mother had told him to treat others well even if they were rude. Usually, Percy returned snarky comments with sarcasm, but for once, Percy heeded this advice.