A Chance to be a Lady

Rural Virginia: August 7, 1776
"Hazel, I would like to speak with you," Hades said.
Hazel was scrubbing the floor when she heard his voice. She set down her sponge and looked up at her father. He looked as intimidating as ever with his tall stature, intense eyes, and ghostly pale skin. There was something different when he looked at her, though. Perhaps Hazel only saw what she yearned to see, but his eyes looked softer than usual and there was less hardness around his lips.
"Yes, master," Hazel said.
"Hazel, I uh," Hades began. "I haven't been the best father to you."
Hazel bit back a retort. That was an understatement. Hades has treated her like a slave when she was his own daughter.
"It seems like none of my children are happy," Hades said. "I want to change that."
"What do you mean, master?" Hazel asked.
"From now on, I want you to call me your father instead of your master," Hades said.
Hazel swayed on the ground. Had Persephone actually convinced Hades? She felt her skirt growing damp and realized that she had knocked over the bucket of soapy water.
She stood up and grabbed a mop. She started to clean the mess.
"I'm sorry, master," she gabbled, unable to look her father in his eyes.
     Hades grabbed her arm. His grip was gentler than Hazel had expected. She wondered how he could do this: how could he look into the eyes of someone who had been born from the misery he had caused? Hazel clung onto her anger because it was the only thing keeping her steady.
     "I went to the court today," Hades said. "You've been freed."
    Now Hazel felt as if she might faint. She was glad for Hades's grip even if she hated physical contact with him. She was free. She blinked and pinched herself. She wasn't waking up; it wasn't a dream.
      "I don't know what to say," Hazel said.
       It was true. She was unsure of what exactly she should say. Her father had caused her so much misery and pain. He had done the opposite of what a father should have done for so many years, but now he was freeing her. Hazel suspected it had more to do with his fear of line being eliminated and his love for Persephone than any affection for Hazel.
      "You've grown into a beautiful and strong lady," Hades said. "I'm proud of you. Persephone will show you to your new room tonight. From now on, she'll teach you how to be a lady."
    He patted her on the shoulder and then walked away. Hazels stared at him and confusion, anger, and relief jostled in her mind. Hazel replayed his words in her head even as her fists curled in anger. He was proud of her. She had never imagined he would say that. Yet she resented her father for what he could have done — what he should have done — much earlier. No, I can't let myself be consumed by bitterness like my mother, Hazel thought, and she allowed the primal feeling of happiness that every creature feels when it find freedom wash over her.