11 | Uncharted Territory

11 | UNCHARTED TERRITORY

Cold, it was cold.

As August roused to consciousness, her body felt as if it were encased in ice. Wintry crystals dug into her exposed skin. Freezing mists slowed her thinking process. Her limbs were numb. Chills raced down her spine. How could she be so cold?

A deep voice called out to her, "Gold? Are you awake?"

What... d'ya think? she wanted to snap.

"Shay!"

The rolling clouds of haze clogging August's mind began to dissolve. Concentrating, she managed to wiggle her toes. Next, her fingertips. She frowned; she couldn't move her right arm.

"How does she feel?"

"Shay, Shaymin."

A wet nose sniffed August's temple. Her teeth gritted. The pest sneezed in excitement, spraying snot onto her cheek. August's body launched into action to push the nuisance away. The moment her right shoulder moved, a thousand needles pierced her muscles, and a gasp burned her raw throat.

August's eyes snapped open. The area was dark, musty, and rock-filled; she realized they were inside the cave. Omar sat in front of her with glass vials and herbs surrounding him. Cyryl stood off to the side, busy tending to all the Pokémon except Nuri. The Magmar waited beside Omar, using the light cast from her flaming tail to illuminate August.

The pirate inspected herself. She lied still atop her coat, vest, and tunic, her top half stripped down to her chest binding. Bandages reeking of earthy medicines stretched from her shoulder to her elbow. The dim lighting exposed the sweat gleaming on her battered skin.

"Please, be careful," Omar cautioned. "My nana's medicine won't heal you all the way, but it'll last you until we get back. I swear it." He handed her good arm a dainty, glass bottle. "Here, drink this."

Her hand trembled as she grabbed the medicine. She sniffed it, and her nose wrinkled at the sugary scent. "What is this?"

"Cyryl won a pain relief..."

Omar quieted as August downed the potion. Her head swam. Craning her neck had triggered a whole new wave of nausea. She groaned in misery, clenching her jaw as she waited for it to pass. Moments later, her burp echoed throughout the cavern.

"Ew!" Gracie giggled.

August's heart skipped a beat hearing the sound of Gracie's leaves rustling as she laughed. She turned around to see the Shaymin sprawled out on her resting place.

Gracie had exposed herself to Cyryl and Omar. Gracie had exposed herself to Cyryl and Omar.

A fire sparked to life inside of August and melted her icy exterior. She hissed, "You can't follow one order, can you?"