14 | Waterworks

14 | WATERWORKS

To pass the remaining travel time, August convinced Omar to sit in on Cyryl's training sessions to brush up on his fighting knowledge

To pass the remaining travel time, August convinced Omar to sit in on Cyryl's training sessions to brush up on his fighting knowledge. It led to his idea that Nuri and Marley should teach Pidge how to battle, causing a whirlwind of trouble as the simple-minded bird decided training time was all the time. It grew common to hear pained squawks as Omar's Pokémon struck him out of the air.

Slowly but surely, underlying tension ebbed away as the days drifted by. A new sense of camaraderie bound the crew together in a pact to complete their quest.

White Lightning finally reached Verelum on a cloudy, humid morning. Pidge and Marley tried to clear the damp fog hanging in the air to make docking easier, but the milky veils refused to budge. There was something unnatural about the stagnant mist that unnerved them.

As they walked inland, they found Verelum to be the polar opposite of Rubrelum. Perfectly symmetric buildings with sloped roofs stood atop well-built stilts as rivers rushed below them. Colorful boats resembling powerful Gyarados and elegant Milotic traveled through the water bodies, carrying loads of goods and passengers. The town buzzed with life.

To blend in with the natives, Omar purchased the three their own floral-printed outfits. However, August still attracted wary gazes as she refused to leave Risk behind; she'd learned her lesson from years before. Nuri and Marley stayed, though, to keep an eye on White Lightning.

August was on high alert as they headed to the boat boarding pavillion, aware of the town guards stationed at all the street corners. They were unmistakable with their leather shell armor and ornate helmets. Pokémon such as Granbull and Crawdaunt stood at attention beside them. More guards than she liked scrutinized her movements, their interests caught by her cutlass.

I hate it here, August thought, her nerves on edge. She dreaded how severe the capital's security would be; rumors had it there were three guards per one citizen there.

"Me too," Gracie agreed. "I hate everywhere where I have to be in this stinky bag."

August breathed a laugh through her nose. The more Gracie matured, the more amusing she became.

The line for the ferry rides stretched from the pavilion's steps to all the way down the town's main street. Parties around the group were equally disgruntled, complaining about how long it would take to reach the entrance.

"Loto's home isn't as far away as you'd think," Cyryl comforted, spotting Omar's and August's annoyed expressions. "He lives on the outskirts of Primrose, to the south. It shouldn't take more than half a day's boat ride to reach him."

"You said you've never been here before," August recalled, tilting her head.

Zie nodded. "That's true, but I've been exchanging letters with my friend for over a year now. I have some knowledge of the area thanks to him."