Epilogue

EPILOGUE

Nestled on the northwestern coast of Verelum was the remote village of Rivermare

Nestled on the northwestern coast of Verelum was the remote village of Rivermare. The quaint, little town lied beyond a stretch of mountains that separated it from the rest of the country where it sat upon a crystalline river weaving through the land. Lying at the edge of the shore where the river surged over the last bits of the land was a breathtaking waterfall. It cascaded through the air in a rainbow of sparkling overspray, reflecting the gorgeous lights of the soon to be setting sun.

The golden-orange sun rays cast a blissful glow on the village, brightening the lovely colors of the beautiful flowers on display. Fuchsia blossoms with round petals and sweet scents lied at the center of the town atop a wooden shrine. People and Pokémon alike gathered around the plaza to gaze at the extraordinary display of a once thought to be extinct plant species: Gracideas.

Gracidea-themed ornaments decorated all of Rivermare. Pink ribbons twirled in the spring season's gales, tethered to lampposts that wore flowered wreaths. Pots of peonies, poppies, dahlias, lilies, and more lined the wooden board paths. Vendors dressed in pastel colors sold blossom-shaped treats to curious visitors. Street musicians played lutes and sang songs telling the tales of Caelum's nature. Flower petals danced through the gusts and landed wherever they pleased.

One of the petals drifted downward and landed in August's outstretched palm. She brought it close to her to let the Shaymin perched on her shoulder lean forward and smell it. Much to her amusement, the petal tickled the Pokémon's small nose and caused her to release a high-pitched sneeze.

Chuckling, she teased, "Did you get a nice sniff?"

"Yeah," Gracie said, rubbing her snout with her paw. "It's not a Gracidea petal. I think it's a hi-bis-cus?"

Your guess is better than mine. August dropped the petal and watched it flutter onto the boardwalk. Lifting her head, she glanced around her at the moseying natives. Do you see the others yet?

Gracie rested her front paws on the top of August's head, using her as a prop to scan the area. "Nope. Want me to fly?"

No, I'll walk.

Gracie rebalanced herself as August continued walking through the crowds. Dressed in dark green Vere robes with her hair tied up and face free of dirt, it was impossible for passersby to know her upbringing. Only the long scar etched into her right cheek hinted at the dark past she tried to forget for a bright future.

After three years of leaving the Nosek household to dedicate herself to ferrying Shaymin, August had been greeted by Cyryl who'd been standing on the coastline. Zie'd approached her with a smile and asked if she'd attend Rivermare's first-ever Gratitude Festival. She'd accepted the offer and told her former apprentice she'd meet zir there. As she walked through the festival, however, she realized she'd underestimated how difficult it'd be to find zir amongst a sea of people.