38 | Saving Grace

38 | SAVING GRACE

For the next few days, the guards led Lang from her cell to stand in the palace courtyard where the Gracideas were and wait for the Shaymin to appear

For the next few days, the guards led Lang from her cell to stand in the palace courtyard where the Gracideas were and wait for the Shaymin to appear. The courtyard's architecture was beautiful with its realistic, Dragon-type statues overlooking the vicinity. A wide stretch of grass decorated with green shrubs and white flowers was cut into two by a pathway leading to a fountain in the center. However, the only Pokémon she ever glimpsed were Staraptor and Fearow.

As she stood between the Gracideas and the fountain with her wrists in chains, she had plenty of time to think. She appreciated being outside in the daylight instead of having to stay in the darkness of the dungeon. If only she could extend this privilege to Cyryl. Not August.

August. Lang's blood boiled at the mention of her name. She'd confessed her feelings about feeling guilty for Tuyen's death to the person who'd let her die. Lang wanted to say she couldn't believe how the pirate hid the truth of Tuyen's death from her, but the problem was that she could. Her disappointment was crushing.

It was on her second day of standing watch when Lang realized why August's betrayal had hurt her so deeply. It was because she'd liked August. As different as they were, she found enjoyment in the pirate's company; they'd helped one another navigate their weaknesses as those were each other's strengths. She wanted to deny it, but August wasn't the monster her hatred had painted her to be.

Still, that didn't excuse the pirate's foul actions. Lang had trusted her only for her trust to hurt her in the end. She'd believed August would do the right thing only for her hopes to be crushed before her in the Scarlet Court. And now she had to pay the price.

Yet it was impossible not to think of the pirate when her older sister was the leader of the guards watching over her. The longer Lang stared at Shannon, the more she saw August. Despite their similar appearances, however, Shannon was unlike her sister in terms of selfishness. The soldier would routinely ask about the conditions of the dungeon and seek to better them. When Lang complained about the portion sizes, she found her next meal to be double the original amount. When she said her back ached from lying on the cold, hard ground, she and her companions received bedrolls the following night. There was more heart to Shannon than Lang had anticipated, and she appreciated it.

On her fourth day of standing watch, Shannon revealed to her, "Your parents are here in the palace."

Lang's words escaped her for a fleeting moment. She'd known her family had been notified of her case, but she hadn't expected them to travel all the way to Scarlet. "May I go see them?"

"They're currently busy." Shannon then added swiftly as Lang frowned, "They're having conferences with Her Highness and her council about whether or not Queen Zeya can try you without a Vere audience since you're a recognized Vere citizen. Your family must hold much power if they're allowed to challenge the queen."