Chapter 4

It was two days after the encounter with the clan-cats. Frost and Cinder had left the day after the attack and set into the forest. They had gone to a pine forest instead of the forest with the aggressive clan-cats.

"Mama, I'm hungry!" Complained Cinder.

Frost had tried to catch mice, squirrel anything that was out here but failed. She had caught an injured mice and killed it to give it to Cinder. Frost hadn't eaten anything for two or three days. Her white pelt was know matted into clumps and Cinder's smokey gray-and-white pelt was caked in mud in places. She sighed and looked up at the sky.

'Lionheart help us! We need you here with us, I can't take of her here. I don't know were I belong anymore.' Frost pleaded in her mind.

"I'll go and try to catch something, you stay here." Frost meowed. Cinder nodded and curled up in the back of their makeshift den.

They had found an overhanging bush that covered the entrance from the cold and wind. Luckily she had found moss to cover the spots that had holes in them. It could be warm sometimes in there, but usually it was cold.

Frost padded out of the den and into the pine forest. She parted her jaws to scent mouse. She immediately crouched and stalked towards the direction of the scent. Once Frost had spotted the mouse nibbling on a seed she moved slowly and swiftly towards it. The mouse did not know she was behind it. She pounced with claws extended and bit it's neck. It went limp and she carried the fresh-kill towards their den.

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Once they had eaten the prey they settled down in the bush den to sleep. Cinder yawned and looked at her mother with tried blue eyes.

"Mama, why are we living here?" Cinder asked trying not to fall asleep.

"I'll tell you in the morning, just rest my precious kit." Frost soothed. She licked her gray head as she moved her kit closer towards her with her white tail.

Frost sighed as her daughter fell into a deep sleep. Frost looked up at the stars in the night sky. She heard a rustling noise and out stepped a small white tom with jet-black paws.

"Who's there?" Called the tom. He sniffed the air and headed towards the direction of Frost and Cinder.

'Oh no!' Frost yowled in her head. She backed away further in the makeshift den until she reached the end. Cinder shifted around and opened her weary blue eyes.

"Mama, what's going on?" She asked. Frost hushed her daughter by silencing her with her tail.

The tom poked his head in the den and Frost's hopes disappeared. His amber eyes grew wide with surprise as he looked at the white she-cat and the gray-and-white kit.

"Wha-what? Who are you and what are you doing in ShadowClan territory?" The young tom asked.

Cinder blinked her eyes at the tom, he seemed to be the same age as Cinder. Frost sniffed the air wondering if there were anymore cats among the pine forest.

"We ran away from our owners and we didn't know this was your land. Please let us stay here for one more day." Frost meowed.

The tom shifted his paws around and glanced over his shoulder. Cinder tried to look at what the tom was looking at but tripped.

"Ow!" Cinder squeaked. The tom looked back at Cinder and at her mother.

"I will be in big trouble for letting kittypets stay here, but since you seem lost.... Alright you can stay here for one more day, but be sure to stay away from the cats here, they are dangerous." The tom meowed. Frost sighed in relief and helped her kit up with her muzzle.

"I'm Blackpaw, by the way." He meowed, before turning around to leave.

"Well, I'm Cinder and this is my mom Frost." Cinder introduced herself and her mother.

Blackpaw smiled and headed out of the den. Cinder watched as he his tail disappeared out of sight. Frost moved her kit towards her and yawned.

"Time to sleep my kit." Frost whispered. Cinder yawned and curled up to close her blue eyes. Soon she was fast asleep.

Frost was thankful that Blackpaw hadn't attacked Cinder or her, even though he was small remembering how Tigerpaw had been, she didn't want to take any chances. Frost laid her head on her paws until she dozed off.