Chapter 5

Frost woke up early the next morning and went hunting. Cinder was still sleeping, but she wanted her to sleep longer. Today they were going to find their permeant home or at least find somewhere else to rest.

She was stalking a squirrel which was nibbling on a berry. She placed each paw lightly on the ground, making no sound. Once she was close enough, she pounced on the squirrel before it had a chance to climb the oak tree. Frost padded back to the overhanging bush to see Cinder trying to groom her fluffy fur.

"Here you go!" Frost purred. Cinder looked up and smiled at sight of prey.

Frost placed the squirrel in front of her daughter. Cinder took one hungry bite our if the kill and smiled.

"This is yummy mom!" Cinder mumbled with a mouthful of squirrel.

Frost purred in amusement and took a bite too. She was glad to eat something even if it was small. They finished the squirrel in a few famished bites. Once they had groomed their fur as much as they could they walked in the pine forest.

"Mama, how long do you think we will be out here?" Cinder asked as they passed an oak tree.

"Maybe for a few more days or until we find another place to stay for the night." Frost explained. Cinder nodded and looked up ahead.

There was a mouse looking for food just a few tail-lengths away.

"Shh, don't make a sound." Frost instructed by whispering.

Cinder crouched down and watched as her mother stalked the mouse. Frost's paws moved silently as she moved closer towards the mouse. It had no idea she was there, once Frost was close enough to see it in full view, she jumped on the mouse biting its neck. It went limp and she carried it towards her daughter who was staring in amazement. Cinder had never seen her mother hunt before and she was proud.

"Wow! You're amazing, I could never do that!" Cinder cheered. Frost set the mouse between her and Cinder

"I bet you could learn quickly if I taught you. You are a very special kit." Frost encouraged her.

'You have no idea that you have ThunderClan blood.' Frost thought in her mind.

Cinder's eyes gleamed with hope as they ate the warm mouse. Once they had finished their meal, they rose to their paws and started to walk.

"So why did we go into the forest?" Cinder asked. but before Frost could go say anything else they heard an anonymous snarl. Cinder's smokey gray-and-white fur fluffed out in terror as they both spun around to see Blackpaw and two unfamiliar toms.