Thirteen

At the end of the night we were still at the pool bags of chips and boxes of pizza filled the trash bag. I sat on the lounge chair my eyes heavy and my head slightly bobbling as I shiver from the breezy night.

"Here" Derek says handing me a towel. "Use this one the one you have on is wet." I take the towel off my shoulders and without hesitation Derek replaces it. I mutter a thanks and I glance at my phone and I groan.

"What happened?" He says sitting on the chair opposite of me.

"Gio was supposed to get me hours ago but he's at a party and won't answer my texts." I say in annoyance. Derek's expression changed, "I hope he's okay you know what party he's at?" I shake my head.

"Don't worry he posted a snap two minutes ago. I'm just gonna keep on spamming him." I say as I send five more messages and type another.

"Hey Derek" Jackson yells getting out of the pool. Derrick looks at him. "We're gonna head to Ethan's party you coming. Esmeralda you can come too."He directs his attention to me. I shake my head.

"I think I'm just going to go home and sleep. Thanks though" I smile.

"Well it was nice meeting you." Milo says from behind. "yeah same." Jackson says. Thomas had left hours ago.

"It was nice meeting you guys too" I say. The boys begin to walk out of the pool area.

I continue my mission of getting Gio's attention. "Don't worry about it?" Derek suddenly says. "Hmm?" I raise my brow at him. "I'll take you home." He clarifies. I sigh. "No"

"No?" Derek says a bit offended.

"I don't want you to waste your time. Gio said he could so he's going to." I explain.

"Don't be silly come on." Derek pulls me up out of the chair. "You're cold so let's get inside."

We head inside and I sit in the kitchen. "What are you doing ?come on" he pulls me up again. We end up in his room. I stand in the middle of it while he searches his closet and drawers for clothes.

I was shivering and when Derek reaches up and pulls his letterman of a hook. "Here" he hands it to me and reluctantly put on the expensive jacket over my still wet body.

"This is surprisingly comfy." I sit at his desk chair, snuggling into the jacket. Derek laughs before walking into the bathroom.

Twenty minutes later we sit in his car on our way to my place. It was quiet but the good comfortable quiet. I lean against the window struggling to stay awake, in case Derek got lost.

"Esme just let go" Derek laugh at me,"I have the GPS on its fine." I push off the glass and rub my eyes.

"No we're almost there anyway." I sigh. I glance at him he looks at me in amusement. "What's so funny?" I ask.

"You're cute when you're sleepy." He says quietly almost afraid. I give him an offended look. "So I'm not cute all the time?" I cross my arms and lean back into the seat looking forward.

"No, no, no" he says quickly, "thats not what I meant."

I hide a small smile.

"You're more than cute you are fucking beautiful." He says lowly. My smile grows more and I get this warm feeling in my chest.

I turn to look at him with a cocky smile. "I know. I also was just messing with you."

"You've sure been getting bold. What happened to your shyness?"

I scoff, "I was never shy. You just don't know me like that yet." Derek looks at me up and down.

"Let me then." He says, "How about-" I cut him off.

"Random question, how come Marsha didn't come?" I ask. I knew or I think I knew what he was going to say but in no way am I a side bitch. The car pulls to a stop in front of my house.

Derek shifts his body to face me and I unconsciously do the same. "We aren't dating anymore" He says using air quotes around the word dating. I look at him and I'm not sure if I believe him...but the look in his eyes sure are convincing. I sigh.

"Good night Derek. Text me when you get home safe" is all I say before getting out the car. I don't know why I did that I should've stayed but it's to late now i already have my hand on the door knob.

I take a deep breath before walking in. I can't wait to shower; there is nothing more that I despise than the  smell of chlorine.

After I shower and wash hair I walk into my room and I throw Derek's jacket onto my bed. I forgot to give it to him. Suddenly I hear a creak from my window. I spun around and saw a man right in front of me. Immediately without processing what was happening I throw a punch.

It knocks the person onto the floor. That person being none other than Gio. "Ugh you imbecile" I mutter. I pull him onto my bed and I sit next to him.

"Gio?" I lightly smack his face. Nothing.

"Gio?" I slap his face. Nothing

"Gio?" I force his eyelids open nothing. Nothing.

I groan. Irritated as hell. Why would he sneak up on my like that. Wait a minute what if i do that thing EMTs do? I make a fist and rub his breast bone in a rapid motion. Is this working? I rub harder.

Gio gasps and falls off my bed, a hand on his chest. "What the fuck?" He complains. I shrug. I move Derek's jacket onto the my desk chair and get into bed while Gio complains.

"Ez?" Gio says still comforting his chest. I look at him in acknowledgment. "Who's jacket is that?" He points at Derek's jacket.

"Derek's" I say nonchalantly. Gio's eyes widen and he shakes his head

"No"he begins, "nah not him." I look at him in confusion.

"He likes you Ez." I blink.

"No he doesn't you read way into things." I say getting in bed.

"Ez-" I cut Gio of because I remember I'm mad at him.

"You never answered so what you think is wrong. It's called being nice." I scold.

"Sorry. Cherry came to the party and wanted to talk." He said.

"Talk as in fuck around" I state, "Gio lately you've been distant. I don't understand. when you feel like it I'm just supposed to be the best friend and when you don't I'm told to basically fuck off."

"Come on puppy don't be like that. You know I love you to death. I've just been..." He stops to think and rubs his temples.

"Just go home." I turn around and cover my face with the blanket.

I hear him sigh. "I ran out of gas can I get five bucks" he says.

I get up and throw my wallet at him. "Good night Giovanni"