Fourteen

There's one thing I love about being the oldest, I can push the little one around. The thing that I hate is that I have to take care of him.

"Sebastian Luis! Open the fucking door!" I bang my fist against the door.

"No!" The little shit yells back. I'm going to snap his tiny pubescent neck. It's currently 5:40am. We were supposed to be at the bus stop ten minutes ago. I had to call Gio to take us to school.

Angrily, I look for a screw driver in the garage. Lately this has been a daily thing. It's time for us to leave, Seb locks himself up, and I have to talk him into getting ready. Well I'm fed up. 

I grab the screw driver and the hammer just in case. Sitting on the floor I unscrew the door knob.

"What the hell Ez" Seb says attempting to close the door again on me. I push the door forwards and he falls back to the ground.

"Grab your clothes." I tell him sternly. He looks up  at me wide eyed. Soon he looks at me with anger.

"No." He says. I suck my teeth.

"Okay." I nod. I pause for a moment then I grab his wrists and drag him out the room and down the hall. Pushing the bathroom door open I drag him in there.

"Esmeralda what the hell are you doing?" My mothers angry voice fills the hall. She pushes me aside and gets down to comfort Seb.

"You know what I'm doing. You want to know. I'm doing what you should be doing? Taking care of your son." I say as calmly as I can. My moms brows furrow and she stands up and walks calmly towards me.

Standing a few inches from me she points an accusing finger in my face, "Do not talk to me that way. I am your mother-" I cut her off.

"Oh she's back?" I ask staring at her dead in the eye. I shouldn't have said that but there's no turning back.

"What the hell are you talking about? What bullshit have you made up in your head?" She snarls. I scoff and laugh.

"Bullshit? You mean reality. Ever since dad died you've been disconnected. It's basically me and Sebastian. You haven't even noticed that your son is not being himself." I say getting even closer to her, "We go to a private school for free only twenty five minutes away but we have to wake up at the crack of dawn because you told us you have to sleep to work."

She gulps. "You know I work hard for you both and all I ask is for you to do your part. " I shake my head

" My fucking part. I don't understand what you mean by that.  I wake up early as fuck, work my ass off to pay off a debt that belongs to you, take care of your son until you come home, and go to sleep late doing school work. So tell me what part of that routine is not doing my part?" She looks at me looking for more words to say. At a certain point she looks like she's going to hit me.

"Leave. Get out of this house now!" She yells in my face.

"Fuck you." I start towards my room to pack my things up but my mom grabs my arm.

"Don't worry I'll do that for you." She says before pushing me back.

I storm off and coincidentally as I walk  out the house Gio pulls up. I run to the car and I get in as quickly as possible.

Just breathe I tell myself trying to calm down.

"Ez are you okay? Where's Seb?" Gio asks. I breathe harder but I loose it. I punch the dash board over and over yelling at the top of my lungs.

"Esmeralda stop." Gio grabs my arms and I thrash around. "Stop" He says again. I break down crying.

"I can't anymore." I sob falling into his chest.

"You can't what?" He whispers.

" Pretend I'm fine. I'm not okay." I shake my head continuously.

"I knew this was going to happen but you're going to be okay." He pets my hair, "just take the day off from school. We can watch movies and eat."  I nod in response.

On the whole ride to Gio's house he held my hand as I stared out the window. I honestly don't know what I'd do without him. We've been there for each other since day one.

The car pulls up to the single story house at the end of the road. I hop out the car eager to burry myself under thick blankets. I open the front door two basically my second home and I see Gio's mom yawning as she takes her coffee to the table.

"Esmeralda whats wrong love?" She quickly walks over and cups my face.

"It's nothing." I say avoiding her eyes. She pulls me into her arms.

Squeezing me tightly she says, "It's okay to feel you've been strong for way too long." That caused be to release another wave of emotion. We stand there for a good minute before I pull away to wipe my tears.

"Can I stay here for a bit?" I ask.

"If it's fine with your mom then yes." She responds quickly.

"Oh it is." I sniff and Gio leads me to his room. Gio's room has been chaotic. Posters of cars on the walls and drawings liter the floor. One this cool about it if that he has a projector that shines on the longest wall which is across his bed. Speaking of which, I throw myself on there rolling into the comforter.

I hear a sigh from Gio, "I'll let you sleep." 

"Can I get clothes?" I ask. His dramatic self takes his shirt off and throws it at me. "You always do this" he grumbles as he checks his drawers for some sweat pants. Soon after I get those thrown at me too but this time I catch it.

"Love ya" I say when he leaves me to change. I always like wearing Gio's clothes. He's tall and sort of muscular so his clothes are way bigger on me.

I crawl back under the blankets "you can come in!" I shout.

"Stupid I'm going sleep to move aside" he literally flips me over to my stomach. I huff and kick him as he gets on the bed.

"Good night stupid" I say.

"It's actually morning bud." He laughs.

I was so exhausted and needed a break from the world that I even forgot about work...resulting in thirty text messages. Oops.