Chapter 1: Rogue

I know how to kill someone.
I learned it since I was an insignificant girl in my bulky sheath concentrating on the every day enunciation; that the world was not how they envisioned it at all. 
People wear disguises and I was the man to take care of that assignment for them. I study closely and firmly from the moment they get out of their respective place and watch their every movement. There's always something that catches the eye when I see them marching across that ethological street with that big ol' smile on their faces like they are having the time of their lives. I wish you could look at them; nibbling on a slice of sandwich and sippin' on their snifter espresso cup.
You should really see them out there; just a slight glance you might think they had their whole lives figured out; a gentleman with a slim and shaky tie that compliments their moneyed pockets or how about that one lady with a hem so diminutive that matches her silky pullover and fancy shoes.
Look at them.
Just look at them clearly.
They really think they have the world on their feet. But I know better.
I know who they really are. Who they hide underneath all those disguises.
I press tightly against the covering, bitterly crossing my hands across my bust. The air taking a frostbite of my skin and swirling it into halo. I take out the cutlass on my back pocket, running my fingertips around it bringing awareness to the edge peaked. I've taken an intensely amount of lives with this. The pulse in my grip dwindles at the thought of it but comprehending the extend of my actions. Shujinko used to say to aim for the kill and feel remorse later; but sometimes it was the other way around. Some missions were harder than others, and others so effortless it didn't take a gulp from my part.
It doesn't matter, anyways. None of it does right now.
I was not instructed here to tell you their resume. I'm here to prove myself.
To prove that I'm the chosen.
I grab the scythe and press it tighter on my ponytail cutting my hair loose. The sleek frosted strands plunging into my nudges like snowflakes in dusk. The nanotech signaling in the side of my head. I press it and stare at myself in the reflector from the tower. Mushy and ruffled charcoal fringe and I'm good to go.
Science saves the day again. Thank you, Shujinko.
I leap myself underneath the columns and buildings. Making my way into the crowd, I realize how lucky these humans are. They have it so easy.
They don't know what it's like to wake up every morning thinking you have something inside of you that you can't quite understand. Yet.
They don't know what it's like to fear yourself when you lose control of reality. They don't know anything.
And I envy them for that. Truly, I do.
Drones make their way to their usual compound awaiting instructions for the next handout. The world has really changed that much. For humans to despise Morlocks and the Citadel as much, they have really made use of those alien devices and weaponry. They take the drones out every day to scout the areas and to see if they spot any Morlocks with unusual capabilities around. They scout any bizarre or rare activity outside the residents and provides some kind of a warning to the surviving humans. Their pointy violet-ultrasonic wave makes rounds every ten minutes. I should be careful.
Luckily for me, I know how to fit in. And I know how to capitalize.
I almost forgot how it felt to be out here. The brisk in this world was unparalleled. You could see all the trees flowing with such matter and the moon burning until no tomorrow. Ever since the Citadel took frontline of the world, the universe was under Red Devil's Citadel command. You think you know them; but you really don't at all. These Elder Gods conquered the world after a massive bloodshed with the last of the Morlocks. None of us wanted to hurt anyone at the first place. We were looking for peace and for unity. The humans did not, however. We were different...chemically and genetically. The Red Devil organization aimed for a more driven-politically society where humans ensued without hesitation. Grievously, the mortals were anything but followers. And at the end of it all, everything just went to utter shit.
Red Devil was victorious and took what was rightfully theirs; according to them. But, not before most of the Morlocks were wiped out and the Citadel thought they were doomed once again.
But that's when I come in. The next wave of warriors. The next step into human evolution. A lethal hazard.
That's me; Ariadne Greyrose.
A weapon in construction. A weapon about to be destructed.
Why I say that, you ask? Well, everything was not painted the way we all wanted to. Quickly, I shift my through the pavement and the congregation. Stopping by a gate, I gaze around the perimeter.
Gotta keep large distance. I press the fragment at the sidelines of my front and heighten the borderline. The component's circuits begin enclosure and draws the target in amethyst.
Gotcha, motherfucker.
His name is Vince and I've been watching him for exactly three weeks; studying his habits and his adventures. Every Monday and Wednesday, he would call his wife and tell her he would go and pick up their 8- year old son, Stefan. His wife, Linda, was a secretary in one of the biggest companies left here; Green-Corp. She really just had no idea of what he was really up to. To her surprise, little Vince here thought it was fun to delay the pick up and would make a right turn before the nanny's household. The look on his face before he made his way into the entrance was doubtful. I could tell he really resented doing what he was about to get himself into.
But, you couldn't help resist the temptation could you, Vince?
You brushed out every negative feeling left in your embodiment and pressed your lips on the devil within. You don't give a shit do you, Vince? You never did.
While Linda worked her ass off to maintain the funds for your son and his leukemia therapy, you would screw the shit out of your boss. So much for family and humans, huh?
I see mortals for what they exactly are. What they really hide underneath the surface. Despair and despondency at the top of their list. A mask so adjusted to their surface hiding their sentiments. Such forgery and hoax creatures wandering sphere and projecting affections that detriments others. This is what lives on the other side of the world.
This is what the world outside thrives on.
"Is it done?" the comms in my ear presses tightly, leaving a vibranium feel all over my body.
"Fuck!" I shout. "Jesus, Shujinko. Ever heard of solitude? Shit."
Shujinko has been monitoring me ever since I got here. He monitors all of us, new Morlocks, on our missions. Practically just making sure that we get our shit done and leave no trace behind.
"I'm working on it, Shujin" I say.
"I thought I told you to cease the moment and to get it done. Fast."
"Well, that wouldn't be so fun would it?"
"Ari."
"I got this. Chill, old man" I make a jump into the next building and make my way down into the entrance.
Shujinko worries too much. He wants me to be perfect on this mission. To prove myself the right way. His decision shouldn't be biased, he always said. No time to play favorites and to pick the contestants for the next tournament.
That's the thing, though. We are all out here trying to prove ourselves fighting for the exact same purpose. Survival.
And none of us is going down without a fight. As you can see, The Red Devil Citadel gave the following Morlocks another chance. A chance to prove themselves as worthy for the program and the organization. Population was growing faster minute by minute and they thought they did not need extra individuals to take any more spots. We needed defenses. Offensive fighters. For another war may be approaching The Citadel wants to win it, no matter the cost. They only want the best of the best; and that's why we were chipped. Bombs underneath our throats that boil in our blood day and night. There's no possible way to take them out. That's the whole plan of the Citadel though; they only want what's best for business and they were willing to sacrifice whatever...or whoever.
I almost feel bad when I make the access. Stefan will probably grow up without knowing who his father really is. I've been in that position and I know what it feels like. I know what it's like to snivel through the gloom and have no one to turn to. But, it's not up to me to make the decisions. They give the order and I simply obey and that's that. And heaven's sake if I dare to question them.
The woman gasps for air as she sees me approach them, her moans turning to lament. I almost stutter. I almost ponder. I pause for the longest instant and think about what had led me here to this moment. The fights I had to overcome. The obstacles. The fury, and the anger. Loss. Hopefulness. I will not make the same mistake my brother did. I will not suffer under the hands of any mortal or divinity. I will not let it control me. I will control it. I will forge my path.
And I just make a swift move with my hands.
And the job is done. Their broken necks scrawled on the cellar.
For a slight moment, I feel guilty; devastated. I kneel beside the bodies and feel tears forming in the corner of my eyes. But this is no time to mourn. No time to look back and regret.
"Come in, Ari" the voice on the comms startles me and I get up on my feet once again.
I will do what has to be done. No matter the sacrifices I have to make. I will not be destroyed.
"It's done, Shujinko. He's dead."
"Good." The voice rings in my ear smoothly like taking pleasure of the situation. "Great job, Ariadne. Come back home. Your father—the King. He's expecting you."
"On my way." I blurt out and make my way into the doorway. I take one last glance at the familiar lifeless face looking back at me. His haunting stare echoing through the back of my mind.
This is war and this is my sacrifice.
"I'm sorry, Uncle..."
And I will be victorious.