Chapter 10: The Only Light In The Darkness

Jonas

(a few years ago...)

"Lord mighty, stop moving." she mumbles under her breath, her gaze shifts from the impaired wound and danks the sponge back on water. Her delicate and silky light-sideburn rubbing around her forehead with such boldness. Obviously, she knew the minute I got out of here I would go on and look for trouble once again. The life of a warrior is to mend on damage and keep the fight going.

I smile and grasp her hands on mine. The sudden shock of wave startling her. "I'm fine, Evangeline." And I was.
I had to be.

Because if tomorrow is another day to die, I was not going down without a fight. The whole idea of fighting for each other's life was absurd but my father had insisted that this was something that was necessary. Not only with myself but because of the Citadel and their affluence for world dominance. They talk about how the world has lost its insignificance after the world war. Not that world war though, more like the one that involves inmense sword fighting and warlocks with cryptic abilities. The freaks versus the anthropoids. Of course, we came out victorious in the end. And so, history repeats itself for the next few years. It did not get any better for us, the freaks though. "It's just a stain, it will heal." I say as I take in the last straw of the damage; a memory so fragile and blurry that consists of combat enterprise. Shujinko wanted to teach a few lessons and might've gotten a bit carried away.

"No doubt about that, honey." Evangeline takes a few steps back to wipe the blood on the dishwasher. I hear sigh in between her breath. "Won't be surprised ya'll just going to torn yourselves to pieces someday."

I take a deep breath, taking in the words convey in my heart. There are a million wars who have died in a war like this, some more painful than others. Some just go for the thrill of it, while others just easily go to fight for their rightful throne; their life. But at the end of the day, we all lie back on that same bunker staring at the ceiling and wondering what really thrives us to go back to the Citadel with a face so full of death and sorrow. Because that's all we really are.
A sea of thieves that wear our fears and the color of death in our hearts. We take what we want and we don't feel remorse. That is what this life is all about. The life we don't get to choose but we get to live.

I smile slightly, taking the words jokingly from the latter. I stand up and bandage my arms tightly around her midsection. My breath bumping barely with her shockwaves and ringing words of solitude. If tomorrow is another day to die, then so this be my last gift of happiness. For the slightest at least.

"Jonas—we can't—"
"Shh." I whisper, as I caress her through me. Our bodies ringing against each other while my lips touch the surface of her face. "Just let me have this night— please.".

I feel her smile deepened and her body give up to me. I turn her around and take a look at her. The feeling always leaving a sinking sentiment on the back of my mind. I couldn't ever be able to shake it. The urge that what we do is not what is right. The fear of losing what we had because love is not a factor to be loosened with. At least, that's what my father had taught me. But what I have with Evangeline is something real.
Magical, perhaps.

Something I can't explain in words because there are just no words for it. I trail my fingertips around her delicate leucous hair. I aisle it around the tight of her impeccable collar, just enough to feel it swirling on my fingertips.

"Jonas, tomorrow—"
"Don't." I stop her. I don't want to talk about tomorrow. I don't want to know what our lives are after this flob and bungle. I just want today to be today. And to feel what I can feel.

Because when all hope is lost; there's always a way to turn on to. A place to go back to.
I press my head against hers and take in everything that we've gone through. The day we met at the outsides of the Citadel. An arrow piercing through my limbs. Evangeline was the first one to mend my wounds when I felt the life suck out of me. When we were lying in bed, I felt like there was a purpose in this thing. Some sort of ending.

But the truth is; war has no ending. When one falls, another comes. As for the time that I have left, I will continue fighting. For humanity.
and my family.

For Evangeline.

And for what is worth; if my father was on my shoes, he would do the same.

Because that's what a Greyrose does.