Chapter 6: Enemy of Our Enemies

Everything is unlike what the outsiders have said it is. The mortal world is beautiful and so ugly at the same time. Piles of drones swirling in the night sky hunting for its prey. The last time I was out here I had to bury my past and secure my future. I had to make the kill to the person that caused me damage.
That provided weakness in my existence. But that is all done and what lies ahead is something much more sinister.

A mission that will make us prove ourselves worthy for the Citadel. All of this is significant to mark our impact for Red Devil. It's not only about winning the tournament; it's about proving that you are willing to make the rightful sacrifices without hesitating.
Proving that you are the best of the best.
And that was exactly what I was aiming for tonight.
I brush the grass off my ensembles and spot the others lining up for the entrance of the tower.
Holy shit, it's much bigger in person. Much bigger than the walls of the Citadel. Somewhere inside, Sonya is there planning whatever mischievous arrangement that will come next. That's the thing about her; there's always planning. Sonya is smart and she knows exactly how to do the dirty work.
And she was good at keeping her tower at watch. Jax gazes upon us and then to the entrance.

"What are we waiting for?" Jax makes a step forward but I grab his right forearm and pull him back. The only way we can make it out of this is if we work together. Put our heads together and play smart.
"Wait—" I stop him and point to the sides of the entrance. "Guards."
Jax sighs and shakes his head. "You are telling me that we are scared of a bunch of mortals with guns?"
"Morlock specialized guns, you fuck." Aella conveys. I chuckle for a moment because if anyone is going to make Jax sit on his ass it has to be one of the personalities living among Tanya.

Ryder fixes his gaze, almost trying to find a way to infiltrate the entrance without being spotted. I've seen firsthand what those guns can do to us. One shot and it will tear us apart. We need to keep a low profile.
"Damon, can you teleport us inside?" Ryder asks.
Damon chews on his gum as his peeks on the entrance and the atmosphere around it. He shoots his arms forward almost to measure the perimeter for his gateways. He bites his lips and turns back to us. "No can do, grockels."

I look back to Damon and groan slightly. "Listen, Damon. I know this might seem suicidal. But we have to—"
"You don't understand." He declares as he paces around the ambience. His breath quickening as he lets his back speak for him. He places his hands on his waist looking for the words. He shifts across the grass with his gaze fixed upon the surface. I can feel that this is hard for him. I can feel his scent grow more sluggish and shaky.

"I can't..."
"What do you mean you can't? You create fucking portals!" Jax nervously howls. Understanding that without Damon's capacities, we are doomed. There is no way in hell we can infiltrate this place without him. Damon seems more fragile than he originally has been. His confident paling and hazy.

"I know." He takes a deep breath and then turns back to us. "I can only travel to places that I've seen and am familiar with." He expresses as he sighs with such bluster. I feel his disappointment. Damon had a vulnerable side it seemed. Beneath all the laughter and the self-confidence, there's insecurity and lust.  Maybe we all have it.
Maybe.

"What do you mean? You're a time traveler—"
"Unquestionably." He says as he sighs and fixes his gaze against us. "Time travelling has not come easy. I can only travel from time to time structures that I've seen in dreams, hallucinations, premonitions...visions." Damon discloses as he frowns.
Visions.
I see the hesitation closing in his eyes as he mentions the word. Is Damon somehow sensing the same things that I am? Being terrorized and haunted by a force that is within our power range? Has he seen the things that I've seen? The things that I've tried to bury deep in my mind. It's rather absurd.