Chapter 8: Eleven-Fifty-Nine

Jax goes in first and inspects the office. It's hollow and crummy on each barricade. There's a bunch of pamphlets laying around the mattresses. Piles of rag decorating the murkiness. This almost feels abandoned.

But then I spot the still logged on workstation on the side of the bench. Someone was here. And someone was making sure to cover all this up.
They know we are here.
"What do you know?" a voice sends an alarming shock on our bodies as we turn to follow it.
Sonya.
"Ariadne Greyrose in the flesh? She proclaims as she holds firmly the revolver in her palm. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

I take a deep breath and focus on the energy on my hands to lounge it forward. A gun won't do anything to me if I finish this quick and first.
"I wouldn't do that if I were you." She conveys as she paces around the room, still holding the revolver at us. "You see, I secured the room with bombshells. Any kind of dark matter and this place blows up in an instant."

Jax and I look at each other as I desist of my powers. Firstly, we don't know why we do it. If the mission is to assassinate Sonya Zade, that's exactly what we do regardless of what we leave behind. But then we realize what it takes to actually get the job done.
Sacrifice.

The word taking a toll on my heart as I sink on it. Sonya chuckles and paces around the room. "And you wouldn't want to hurt your other friends, would you now?" She runs a hand into her obsidian hairline as she presses on the gun tightly.
Sonya loves to play mind games. It's what she's good at. What she's always been good at. She got into my father's head and convinced him that my mother was not worthy of the throne and that lust was a thing. She almost convinced him that Niflheim could co-exist with the mortals if we only agreed on her terms.
But Sonya only cares about Sonya. Nothing else.

"Shut her down, rookie. Use your mindset." Jax estimates as he realizes that in order to inflict damage on Sonya, he'll have to get close to her. I notice the revolver is not just a regular one; it's been modified. I'm guessing to shut down Morlocks and such.
I fixate my mind and lock into hers and a sudden wave of bump shocks me as I plunge on my knees. I lament in agony as my mind discomforts against my head. How was she able to counterattack my telepathy? How is that possible?

Sonya takes a few steps upward and directs her amber eyes on me.
"Such fragile and weak competitors, my God." She declares as she presses a switch from under her desk that sets alarm against all the tower. The noise ringing on my heed so loud I can't make sense out of anything else. Sonya approaches and glares at me in the flooring.
"I expected much more from the one Ariadne Greyrose they all told me about."

I jolt from the shocks that are still forming in my body as I lift my head to get a good grip of her face. "How?" I whisper in between my breath.
"Did you really think I'd built this place from the bottom to the top and not have any sense of invasion? I know everything there is about all of you." She paces around the pavement for a while and takes a deep breath. "Your weaknesses, your flaws, fragility, instabilities..."
Sonya comes in between us as she grins maliciously. "Everything there is to know to get you to kneel for me" she chuckles.

I fixate my mind back to hers as my telepathy gets a hold slightly of her head. My mother always used to say; You get up when you can.
And I am.
Someday I will die; but tonight, is not the day. Another shock bangs against my intellect as my howl increases in angst.
Sonya holds me at gunpoint. "The great Ariadne Greyrose. Daughter of Demon-King Icarus. Conceived on treachery by Queen Alexandra. Her powers thriving on functionality and spiritualism. Oh, but it seems you are not as strong as you think."

Jax glares at her from afar but knows that his power can only limit from certain distance. Swiftly, I feel the scent of someone else coming.
Guards.
We're done for.
"Hey." a familiar voice interrupts Sonya's parade. A splash of aqua knocking Sonya from up her feet and into the embankment. "I'd worried about my back first if I were you."
Damon. And Rain and Ryder.